9 Weeks Po TT Pain in Upper Right Abdomen?

I am 9 weeks from a full tummy tuck with muscle tightening. Since week 4 I have been experiencing sharp stabbing pains in my upper right abdomen. Since I had my gall bladder removed several years ago, I know that's not the problem. It seems to get worse as time goes on, and especially when I am more active. It feels like I tore a muscle. But I've been careful, and it started suddenly with no warning or injury that I know of. I have no swelling and I am still wearing a mild support garment.

9 Weeks after Tummy Tuck and Upper Abdominal Pain

+1

The pain may be a very normal thing.  The plication sutures may be exerting a pulling feeling as well as the activities you are performing.  If there is any doubt, visit your surgeon for reassurance.

+1

It is not rare to be having pain in the early months after surgery. Nonetheless, sometimes there is a treatable cause, so bring this to the attention of your surgeon. Thanks, and all the best. 

Pain

+1

Aches and pains can be ongoing for months after this type of surgery. As long as there is nothing intraabdominal going on which is not related to the tummy tuck this will improve

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Pain 9 Weeks After Tummy Tuck Not Necessarily Abnormal

+1

As you are aware, patient's pain threshold after surgery is quite variable.  While some patients recover within 2-3 weeks, some patients take longer.  Swelling, pain and tightness is quite variable from patient to patient.  The amount of surgery that was performed and the technique used also has an impact.  The causes of prolonged postop pain can include a low pain threshold, asymmetrical trauma to the region during surgery, hematoma or seroma acummulation, nerve injury or suture entrapment, or abnormal scarring associated with your previous cholecystemtomy scar.  It is difficult to diagnose the problem without a physical examination.  You should discuss this matter with your surgoen.  Best of luck with your recovery.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Upper quadrant pain following an abdominoplasty

+1

It is not unusual to have upper abdominal pain following an abdominoplasty.  In most cases you would expect that the pain would be getting better by 11 weeks after surgery.  It is possible that as you got more active you developed some swelling, bleeding or stretching of a nerve in this area.  Massage is likely to help and light stretching exercises.   Bring this to the attention of your plastic surgeon so the source of your pain can be accurately diagnosed.