Do All The Gynecomastia Surgeries Need Gland Removal and Liposuction? Can It Be Gland Removal Only?

well , i went to a surgeon we made tests and ultrasounds on both breasts , and yes i have gynecomastia , he said that he will do gland removal , my question is , should he do lipo beside the gland removal ? if the it's gland removal , will i look normal , will it come back ?

Gynecomastia...Gland removal as well as fat?

+2

Excess breast development can be as a result of just excess glandular tissue or just excess fat. But most commonly it is a combination of both. Most common gynecomastia procedures will involve a removal of both fat and glandular tissue. 

While it is possible for gynecomastia to return, a recurrence of your condition is unlikely to occur. It is important to keep your weight under control and avoid stimulating substances like steroids and marijuana. 

Gynecomastia

+1

The determination as to whether liposuction or gland removal, or both, is necessary is based on physical exam.  If you have glandular tissue that is limited to the area beneath the nipple but the remainder of the chest appears acceptable then liposuction may not be required.  It is important, however, for the surgeon to try to taper the excision so that there is no indentation beneath the nipple and sometimes liposuction can be helpful in achieving this.   

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

+1

Whether you use laser or traditional lipo you still need the dense gland removed. try to find someone in your area that does the Scarless procedure with the only scar about 1/4" inside the armpit. it uses a special instument to grind up the gland so it can be suctioned out. almost always a combination of gland and fat. good luck with it.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

+1

I do not believe there is any utility in ultrasound to make the diagnosis of gynecomastia.I perform a combination of direct excision of the glandular tissue with liposuction to blend the excised region into the surrounding tissues.

Jay M. Pensler, MD