Can All of my Ailments Be Caused by my Implants? If So is It Covered by Insurance?

I'm 37 a mother of 3. I have had my implants for 9 years. Ever since I got them I have been sick. Chest pain, dizzines, weak muscles and joints, anxiety, memory loss, weight gain, burning, itching, extreme fatigue, back pain, neck pain, been diagnosed with lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, depression, migraines, and the list goes on and on. I need them out but the funds are not great. Any advice? I live in the Atlanta area. But willing to travel.

Are implants causing symptoms?

+1

This question comes up once in awhile and to date we have no evidence that silicone implants are related to human disease. If you have saline implants, it would also be unlikely they are the cause. However, if you truly want the implants out you should be abe to find someone to do that under local anesthesia at minimal expense.

Are implants causing symptoms?

+1

You did not mention whether or not your implants were saline or silicone gel.  The silicone gel implants were off the market about the time that you had your augmentation so I am going to assume you have saline implants.  Either way, implants were extensively studied during the period of time that the gel implants were off the market and no evidence was shown to connect implants with the type of symptoms that you are having.  That said, no one can tell you with absolute certainty that there is no connection.  If you take your implants out and it takes care of your symptoms then perhaps there was some connection.  If your symptoms persist after removing your implants then they might be due to something else.  My father started our practice (here in Atlanta) in 1961 and we have seen a LOT of breast implant patients.  We have not seen any kind of connection between implants and the symptoms you describe in our practice.  I would doubt that the two are related but I could not tell you that with absolute certainty.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Check with insurance

+1

It's best to check your individual insurance policy.  Sometimes insurance will cover removal for silicone implants that have ruptured.  You didn't mention if yours were ruptured or not or if they are saline or silicone.

We feel that the implants are safe, but if you want them removed that can certainly be done.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon