What All Does It Mean if a Surgeon is a Member of The Rhinoplasty Society ?

Does it mean they are better at doing rhinoplasties than other surgeons that are not members? What are the qualifications to be a member of the society? In short, just because someone is a member of the society, does that mean they are the best of the best when it comes to doing nose surgery? Thanks in advance.

Meaning of membership in The Rhinoplasty Society

+1

The Rhinoplasty Society is an association of plastic and facial plastic surgeons who have a particular interest in rhinoplasty. Many good rhinoplasty surgeons are members but there are also many other surgeons who aren't. Membershhip doesn't guarantee that you're getting the best of the best.

+1

There are many different surgical societies, groups and boards.  The most important factor, in selecting your Rhinoplasty Surgeon IMHO, isn't what board he certified with or what organizations he/she belongs to but is the ability of the surgeon to understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose and face.  In my mind that's what you're really paying of...flawless, beauty aesthetics.  Without that, naturally beauty can't be created IMO.

Rhinoplasty society

+1

The rhinoplasty society contains members that are trained in ENT or plastic surgery.  There are certain minimum requirements to join, but many surgeons do not join  these types of  subspecialty societies because they often pay dues for other larger national societies.  It does not mean that a doctor not a memeber does not perform alot of rhinoplasties.

Rhinoplasty society

+1
I am personally not familiar with this society. I average at least three rhinoplasty procedures a week and a good indication of how many procedures your surgeon does will be indicated when you come in for a consulting appointment. Most consultation appointments in my office will see at least a few patients in the splint removal stage and a few in variuos stages of rhinoplasty recovery. A surgeons society's that they belong to or different board specialities do not always coincide with their experience in one particular surgery. There are many ENT surgeons who do more reconstructive work tonsul and adenoid surgery, face and neck cancer reconstruction versus cosmetic procedures and then others who specialize in Facial Plastic Surgery. This is the same with many of the board speciality surgeons. Some Board Certified Plastic Surgeons specialize in hand surgery, some in reconstructive work and some a broad spectrum of multiple specialities including all mentioned. Hope this is of some help to you and I certainly understand how this can be confusing.

Michael Elam, MD