Tummy Tuck, Lipo of Arms, Back, Thighs All In One Day Recommended?

I am getting cosmetic surgery done in June. I will be getting liposuction on the arms, back, thighs and tummy with a tuck. Then I am getting a breast lift and implants in my butt. Is it wise to get it all done in one day, and what should expect after a day of all the listed surgeries?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

How much surgery can you have that that in one day

+2

Thank you for your question.  It is common to combine multiple procedures on a single day as long as the scope and safety of the surgery is considered.

As a general rule outpatient surgery should be limited to less than 6 hours and less than 5 liters of liposuction any given setting.

You should discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon. The answer to some extent depends upon how much fat is to be taken up and approximately how long it takes your surgeon takes  to do these procedures.

If you or your surgeon are in doubt then it would make sense to set a stopping point in terms of timing or consider a staged procedure.

Best wishes

Web reference: http://www.atcosmetics.com/abdominoplasty/index.html

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Multiple procedures

+2

Multiple procedures in the same operative setting can be very safe, but certain criteria should be considered. How long will the surgery take, what is the medical condition of the patient, to name a few.  It sounds like it may be best to split up the surgery in two settings probably a few months apart.

How Much Surgery is Too Much Surgery?

+2

I couldn't agree with the other respondents more.

After a day (and into the night) of surgery that you are anticipating, the risks for any number of complications occurring increases markedly.  Not only is it safer to break your procedures down into 4-5 hour sessions, it likely will be more cost effective for you in the long run by lessening unforeseen complications, additional days in the hospital, added time off from work, higher revision rate, etc.

Also keep in mind that your surgeon, like any human being, is subject to fatigue and lapses in judgement with prolongation of any task.

Focus on the most bothersome areas of your body first and plan 3 surgical sessions over the course of a year.  Have your surgeon consider doing procedures that are more prone to needing revisions first so that you can have any revisions built into later planned procedures if needed.

Good luck and be safe.

Web reference: http://norrisplasticsurgeryhouston.com

When are multiple surgeries too much of a good thing?

+2

Although it is appealing to have a complete makeover at one setting, doing EVERYTHING at one anesthetic will increase risk of complications and having surgery on multiple body parts will make recovery somewhat difficult.  Two shorter procedures might be safer and might allow you to better appreciate the benefits of what you have chosen.

Web reference: https://www.maryleepetersmd.com

Too much surgery exposes you to unnecessary risks

+2

While it is technically possible to get all those procedures done in one sitting, the amount of time it will require is going to greatly increase your risk of complications.   Sounds like you will have procedures done on your front and back which requires turning you during surgery.  That alone adds to the time and complexity of the surgery.  Plus getting all those procedures done will mean your entire body will be in significant discomfort.  The amount of pain killers you will be asking for will be excessive.  I would not recommend you do all this all at once.  Frankly, given all the procedures you're getting done, I would check to see if your surgeon is a board certified plastic surgeon and what is his record like.  Has he done many of these long combined procedures and what are his complications like.  Have any patients have had any adverse events after this.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD, FRCSC

Plastic surgery it is not a marathon

+2

too much surgery=too much time operating room= higher complications level

that it is what any certified, serious,ethical and honest plastic surgeon will councill to you even working 2 teams at same time.

i will councill to begin with TT and arms following the legs and back in another  session, finally in a third  session breasts and BB

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Too much surgery can lead to too many complications

+2
I do not recommend the number of procedures you are proposing to undergo in one surgical session. The response is partially dependent on the volume of liposuction. Regardless, when the surgeries require the patient to be "flipped" from supine to prone positions intraoperatively, there is an increased risk viz anesthesia. Additionally, if the length of the procedures are greater than 5-5.5 hours the risk of thrombosis, bleeding, and post operative complications is markedly higher. Reality television is not a good substitute for good medical judgment. Additionally, you should insure that you are undergoing surgery with a board certified plastic surgeon and anesthesiologist in an accredited facility.

Too Much Surgery?

+2

Caution needs to be your primary concern.  I can't comment on your surgeon's ability to complete these multiple procedures in a reasonable period of time but I usually limit my procedures to approximately 6 hours.  There is evidence that adding other procedures to a tummy tuck increases the risks of the surgery and specifically the risk of blood clots.  Have a discussion with your plastic surgeon about your concerns and be sure you don't jeopardize your safety for convenience or monetary reasons.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Multple procedures

+2

While seemingly a good idea, combining too many procedure will increase surgical risks and may make recovery more complex or problematic. 

Too much surgery in one day?

+2

While it may seem convenient to do as much as you can in one day and you read about movie folks doing this, you need to know that medically, you are substantially increasing your risks of complications by doing too much.  Specifically, the risk of blood clots in the veins (DVT) that can dislodge and pass to the lungs and be fatal (pulmonary embolism or PE) increases the longer that you are on the OR table.  Be careful and smart here.  Also, be wary of a doctor willing to expose you to these increased risks just because you might want it done.