Is it (at all) FAVORABLE to continue wearing a compression garment for months or years after a Tummy Tuck?

I am 52 yrs. old and 12 weeks post-op. I would like to get the best results from my TT, but, unfortunately, I don't have time to excercise. I'm hoping that wearing the compression garment is beneficial in some way. Please give me your advice.

Garments after tummy tuck

+1

I would stop wearing compression garments, but talk to your surgeon. If he, or she, is a board certified plastic surgeon you will get good advice. the issue of garments is very arguable: some swear by them while other see no need for them, so do what you feel is best. One way or the other, there is no studies that suggest you continue to wear them.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

+1

It is not easy to prove that it even helps in the early period after surgery. My rationale for its use is it allows the use of dressings without the need for skin tape on the freshly operated skin.

I usually suggest stopping the garment by three weeks, but many patients find them comforting and wear them for a longer period of time.

The only thing I can say with some certainty is that the garment is not substitute for exercise. All the best.

Long term use of compression after a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)

+1

It is of tactical importance to wear a compression garment after a tummy tuck for two reasons:

1) the garment will help control swelling;

2) the garment will protect the muscles that have been tightened underneath.

Wearing the garment much longer than 6 weeks is actually detrimental to the result since the garment will be doing the work of your abdominal muscles which will keep them from developing strength on their own. For best results discard the girdle and do some crunches or other ab work.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

May be helpful

+1

Typically a compression garment is worn for 6 weeks following abdominoplasty for comfort, support of repaired abdominal wall tissues, and control of swelling and shape.

Many women opt to wear their support garment much longer but there is probably no proven benefit.

Exercise is important to maintain long term results. Even without vigorous exercise, simple contraction of abdominal muscles ("holding your stomach in") helps with appearance as well as maintaining good muscle tone, posture and core support.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Compression garment beyond 4-5 weeks may help

+1

Dear Mrs. Rosell,

Thank you for the question. Its hard to know if there are any beneficial effects of wearing a garment for many months after the surgery but we do know that patients report feeling better and more secure by doing so. We also know that no harm will occur. Therefore, if it feels good to you I would continue to wear it. There is a chance it can help expedite additional healing along the way.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Compression after tummy tuck

+1

This is a common question. I really believe in the benefit of using compression garments after liposuction and tummy tucks. Most tummy tucks are done with liposuction of the flanks. The flanks will stay inflamed for months as a result of the liposuction. Compression really helps reduce swelling and inflammation. I also recommend my patients to have lymphatic massage of these areas. This will allow you to regain the results that your surgeon achieved during surgery. Please consult with your surgeon.

Moises Salama, MD