If All Around my Lower Incision is Turning Black and Oozy is That Normal? (photo)

I have a 2'' x 3'' area at the lowest spot of my incision from my tummy tuck turning black and in the line of the incision about 6'' of it is also all black. It does not look like scabbing and seems to be spreading. Syrgon says its normal but im thinking its not. My tummy is really hard on either side of the incision about 2-3'' and i have alot of drainage coming from a small hole that did not close right by my pubic area. Does this sound like normal healing process?

If All Around my Lower Incision is Turning Black and Oozy is That Normal?

+3

Very impressive photos of a wound edge (larger than edge) necrosis and possible cellulitis!! Seek immediate care LIKE NOW!!! 

Get treated asap

+2

You have significant tissue death along the upper skin flap which is a known but unfortunate complication associated with a tummy tuck.  There are several reasons for this problem but it can be treated adequately.  The longer you wait, the more tissue death results and inflammation and infection worsen.  It is unlikely that antibiotics and topical creams will help.  Eventually the dead tissue will need to be cut out.  Though this issue can happen, it is not normal.  If you are not getting the appropriate assistance from your surgeon, seek help elsewhere.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon

Wound healing problems after a tummy tuck

+2

It appears as though the dead skin needs to be excised.  Return to your plastic surgeon soon to get the appropriate therapy.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Skin loss

+2

Dr. Zubowicz is right. You have what appear to be areas of skin necrosis where the blood supply to these areas is not sufficient to support the skin. It can also arise due to infection. This is not a common outcome, but unfortunately it can happen. It is more likely to occur in patients who smoke close to the procedure. You will need weeks of care.

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

Go see your surgeon for a wound problem after tummy tuck.

+2

You appear to have lost some skin (and fat) due to the stress of surgery.  This must be carefully managed by your surgeon.  Infection is a possibility if this is not properly handled.

See Your Surgeon About Tummy Tuck Incision ASAP

+1
Please see your surgeon ASAP. This is not normal and needs to be tended to by your surgeon immediately. Best of luck.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Wound Healing After a Tummy Tuck

+1

Looking at your photos, it seems as if you have some skin and fat that has died. After a tummy tuck, the midsection has the least amount of blood supply for healing so this sometimes happens. You should return to your plastic surgeon as soon as possible to have this treated. There isn't any harm long term although a scar revision may be needed.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Tissue necrosis following a tummy tuck

+1

Your photos and description are consistent with skin and fat necrosis.  This can happen in any plastic surgery when skin is lifted up and moved.  In tummy tucks, it happens in the area just above the pubic bone most commonly.  It often requires minor surgery to remove the dead tissue and allow healing to progress normally.

Although it does not happen often, it is a well known side effect of plastic surgery.  With treatment, it does not lead to long term problems or bad cosmetic results.  I agree with my colleague that you should go see your surgeon as soon as possible to have this issue treated before a serious problems occurs.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon