A Little Overweight (5 Maybe 10lbs ) and I Want to Breast Augmentation Done and Possibly a Tummy Tuck, Do I Have to Wait?

At my heaviest I was 275lbs,4 years ago. I'm 29 years old, weigh about 150, and have had 3 c-sections. I'm sure I want breast implants and possibly want a tummy tuck but theres a slight chance we might want one more child. I have aprox the next 2 months work free(due to family thing), extra money, and help to take of my 3 small children. I know I am still alittle over my ideal weight but everything else seems like perfect timing, do I have to wait to get the surgeries performed or just the tuck?

Timing for Mommy Makeover

Congratulations on your weight loss. You are in a good place weight wise for your breast and body surgery.  I would ask you to discuss with your partner about your family planning.  I would encourage you to complete your family prior to any cosmetic surgery.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Dr. ES

Breast augment + Tummy Tuck

It sounds like a Mommy Makeover to me! Five to ten pounds is not a big deal, and if you can lose it, great. That type of weight loss won't impact the results of surgery I have had a number of patients who have had pregnancies after tummy tuck who do really well - they are fit and exercise through the pregnancy.  As long as you don't have any problematic medical issues, the procedures are definitely worth looking into. Please consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Breast augmentation and tummy tuck before weight loss.

Thanks for the question, and congratulations on the weight loss.  I am sure you have been working very hard to achieve this goal.  A few extra pounds would not matter for a breast augmentation or a tummy tuck.  It sounds like after 3 C-sections and weight loss you would be a good candidate for a tummy tuck.  However, you should definitely wait on the tummy tuck until you are sure you will have no more children.  A tummy tuck is a big operation and it takes a while to recover from it.  You would not want to reverse the improvement you obtained from a tummy tuck by getting pregnant.  The breast augmentation should be fine though.  Good luck!   

HI, Thank you for your question.  It should be firne to proceed with the breast augmentation. 5 - 10 lbs is not going to make a difference.  However, with the chance of having one more child, you should probably hold off on the tummy tuck.  Pregnancy after a tummy tuck can effect your cosmetic results because the skin could get stretched out again.

Weight and Surgery

Five or ten pounds would not be an impediment to undergoing the surgery. However, my real concern in your case is the statement that there is a slight chance that you might want another child. I think that you have resolve this issue before having surgery as an additional pregnancy could affect the cosmetic result, particularly given your history of C-sections.

Robert L. Kraft, MD