Alexandrite Laser for Underarm Hair Removal?

Is Alexandrite better than Nd: YAG or Diode for Laser hair removal specifically for underarms of someone with mixed Asian/Caucasian background?

I read somewhere that underarm hair follicles are much deeper than other hair follicle depths. I also read that the Alexandrite laser only penetrates about 2 mm deep.

Therefore would it actually be effective for long-term hair-reduction using Alexandrite lasers on underarm hair? Or should I consider getting treatment with Diode or Nd:YAG instead?

Laser Hair Removal at Underarms

+1
Underarm hairs usually respond well to laser hair removal treatments. The type of laser that will work best on you will depend on your skin type and hair type. Both Alexandrite and YAG can be effective. It is always best to get a consultation so that your skin and hair type can be assessed for best results. You will need about 6 treatments every 6 weeks, and that normally results in about 85-90% hair reduction.

Alexandrite Laser for Underarm

+1

It can be safe depending on the skin type and how thick the hair. You will need multiple treatments.Alexandrite is not a laser suitable for all skin types, hair color Always do your homework and read reviews. Discover what laser would be best for you that will give you lasting results.

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best Laser Hair Removal Treatment

+1
Thank you for your question. A wide variety of medical lasers and light systems are used to remove unwanted hair, however most lasers are not effective for all skin types and hair colors. The Elos laser hair removal system is designed for permanent hair reduction by combining both optical and radiofrequency energy to deliver satisfying, longer lasting results with less discomfort than previous laser systems. All skin and all hair colors including gray and blonde hair are effectively treated. Faces, backs, arms, legs, faces, and bikini lines can be treated including those individuals with darkly pigmented skin. Treatments are administered every 4 weeks and generally 3 to 5 treatments are sufficient. Best of luck!

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Good Question

+1

I think either laser will work well as long as the Alexandrite is not a first generation device. The real key is the experience of the operator, ike with most things. Be prepared for a series of treatments, often 4-6.

Michael Kulick, MD

Alexandrite vs Nd:Yag for Hair Removal

+1

With the darker hair that you have you should get good results with either  type of laser.  I use both with similar success rates. I use the Alexandrite a little more often with lighter or finer hair.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

The alexandrite laser should be effective

+1

Although all the devices you mentioned may be effective and safe, the alexandrite laser, such as in the Candela Gentlelase should do well for you. The risks as you allude to include hyperpigmentation. Although it happens rarely, if it occurs it is usually temporary and the underarm area is minimally noticeable and not typically sun-exposed.

With the density and coarseness of the hair in the photograph seen above you should get a great result. Typically expect 5-7 treatments approximately a month apart. Each successive treatment will involve less discomfort as there will be less hair regrowth. If you are concerned about the discomfort ask your provider about a topical "numbing cream".

John E. Gross, MD