Downsizing Implants by 45cc?

I'm 5'9", 118 lbs, with a 25" ribcage, with a 11.5-12 cm bwd. I was a small 32B on the left, 32A on the right. I just wanted a small boost but still stay athletic looking and in proportion (full 32B). I had 235cc low profile silicone Mentor implants 4 weeks ago (11.8 cm d, 2.9 cm proj). I feel top heavy and wide; for my ribcage, it's big! I'm considering the 190cc low profile (11 cm d, 2.7 cm proj). I know it's only 45 cc, but wouldn't the 1 cm less diam make a difference on a thin person?

Breast Implants and decreasing size.

+2

You seem very knowledgeable and give a lot of important information to help the doctor.

In general, a 45 cc decrease is not a lot. However, since your implants are smaller to begin with the percentage is more. It sounds like a good change to achieve your desires.

Go slowly however. With time, you may find you are happy. Breasts tend to shrink with time after implants- about 10%. This occurs slowly. If you wait a little and are still not happy, then proceed with the implant exchange.

Best of wishes!

West Chester Plastic Surgeon

Implant size decrease and profile

+2

You actually sound like you would be best served with a high profile implant.  The decrease in volume is a great plan to avoid the "heavy feeling", but the volume alone is not likely to make you completely happy.  I do believe you should wait another month for the internal healing around the implant to occur.  If you still feel the same way, choose to down size and go with a high profile implant. Good Luck on your choice!!

Neil Gottlieb, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Downsizing Implant Size Early After Breast Augmentation ??

+2

While 45cc is a 20% reduction in your breast implant size and may well make a difference in your thin body frame, it is premature to consider that change this early after surgery. You should wait a minimum of three months after surgery before considering an implant size revision. A few extra months of healing and adjustment will either convince you that what you feel now is even more correct or that you will feel better about your current size.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Implant selection

+1

Without a proper exam, it is so hard to suggest different implant volumes for a given individual. 45 cc's is usually not a significant volume but in smaller implants it is a higher % of the total volume. 

Downsizing implants

+1

Generally, it would be hard to notice  a 45 cc change in implant size...you already have a size that is on the very low end of implant size range...I agree that the best option would be to give yourself more time to get used to your new figure...perhaps  six months, and then reassess things.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Downsizing after breast augmentation

+1
45 cc is a minimal size change and I would not recommend this. You are still in early healing and need to allow the breasts to settle down for another 5-6 months before concluding that an implant exchange is warranted. Many patients take time to adapt to their new look.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Downsizing Implants by 45cc?

+1

Most surgeons would make you wait at least 3 months before considering a size change. The reasons:

• Many women reconsider during that time period, sparing themselves a second operation.
  • As the implant settles into position, its appearance may be more in line with your expectations.
  • 45 cc may not be a noticeable difference.

Have patience, reevaluate with your surgeon in two months. Best wishes

Breast augmentation - am I too big?

+1

Many thanks for your question. It can often be difficult to adjusting to the "new you" following any type of plastic surgery. With breast augmentation, the increase in breast size can often be overwhelming in the early post-operative phase, even with a relatively modest implant size. At only 4-weeks post-op your breasts will continue to soften and settle for some time to come. I would therefore not rush into any decision, and wait at the least 6-months after surgery before deciding what to do. It would be helpful to see a photograph of you, but from what you describe, the 45cc reduction may not make a huge difference (about a third of a cup size). I wish you the best of luck

Marc Pacifico, MD, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation post op

+1

I recommend that you give your body a chance to heal, since you are only 4 weeks post op.  If at that time you are unhappy with the size, discuss this with your surgeon.  It takes 3 to 6 months for the implants to settle, in many cases.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Revisionary/ Downsizing Breast Implant Surgery?

+1

Given that youa re only one month out of your breast augmentation surgery, I would suggest that you exercise continued patience and allow for ongoing healing/adaptation to occur. I would suggest that you wait at least 3 to 6 months after the breast augmentation procedure to evaluate the results of surgery and whether or not revisionary surgery will be beneficial.

There are both physiological and “psychological” reasons to wait on having  revisionary surgery. From the physiological standpoint, it takes many months ( and even up to one year) to see the final results of surgery. Factors such as swelling,  tissue contraction,  skin redraping,  implant shifting etc. come into play.

From the psychological standpoint, patients undergo an “adaptation period"  during which time they get used to the changes that the surgical procedure has brought about.  Severe emotional swings can also occur after any type of surgical procedure.
Obviously, it is best for patients not to be making important decisions ( for example about the results of surgery and/or the need for additional surgery) while they are experiencing these emotional “ups and downs”.

Although it is not possible to give you precise device without direct examination reviewing pictures, generally speaking 45 mL  change in volume is unlikely to result in a significant change in breast size.