Is Alcohol Allowed After Rhinoplasty?

I usually don't drink, but at times during social gatherings I don't mind a glass of wine. How long after rhinoplasty consuming alcohol is OK. Thanks.

Is Alcohol Allowed After Rhinoplasty?

+2

Hi Ng,   I know many rhinoplasty surgeons who would like to have a drink after performing rhinoplasty, but I guess you are asking whether the patient is allowed to drink after rhinoplasty.  Kidding aside, you should address this question to your rhinoplasty surgeon.  By the time you are ready for "social gatherings" after rhinoplasty it should be about 5 to 7 days, you should be off all narcotic medications, and you should be able to raise your glass to make a toast to your new nose.  Good luck and be well.    Dr. P

3 weeks after surgery but ask your surgeon

+1
You should ask you surgeon for their advice as they may have different guidelines but i usually recommend refraining for about 2-3 weeks.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Is alcohol allowed after rhinoplasty?

+1

It is best to wait around two weeks post-op before consuming alcohol. I would recommend following up with your surgeon, as they may have specific guidelines they would like you to follow. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Alcohol in moderation is okay after rhinoplasty.

+1

I don't have a problem with one or two drinks after rhinoplasty. Nevertheless, follow your instructions as provided by the surgeon.

Everything in moderation.

+1

If you are still requiring narcotic pain medication, avoid alcohol completely. Most people no longer require narcotics about 5 days after rhinoplasty, but that's still a little too early to resume alcohol in my book. I think a glass of wine or cold beer is safe at the 2 week mark.

Randolph Capone, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose job and alcohol

+1

As long as you are sensible and don't mix alcohol with your pain medication then feel free to have a glass or 2 of wine.

Pouria Moradi, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty recovery and Alcohol use

+1

I would suggest avoiding any alcohol consumption as long as you are taking narcotic pain medication following your rhinoplasty.  Also remember that if your nose or face tends to get red after drinking that this can contribute to post op swelling.  I would avoid drinking for the first two to three weeks following your surgery, but check with your surgeon for their recommendation.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Alcohol after rhinoplasty

+1

Dear ng3660a,

1. You can drink a small amount of alcohol as long as you are not on the prescription pain medication
  2. After 2 weeks, there will be less of an effect on the swelling after drinking

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Alcohol after Rhinoplasty

+1

I am fine with patients having a drink or two after surgery as long as you are not taking any narcotic pain medication. 

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is Alcohol Allowed After Rhinoplasty?

+1

If you are no longer taking any medications and healing has been uneventful,  it may be acceptable to have a small amount of alcohol at 2 weeks following surgery.  As always, ask your surgeon. 

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA