Alcohol After Fat Transfer or Grafting?

For how long after having a fat transfer/grafting to the lower eyelids must one wait before consuming alcohol?

Maybe a drink a day would be beneficial

+2

That is a very good question. I don't think there has ever been a good study to show when it is safe.

There is no question that alcohol can make you more prone to bleeding. I usually recommend waiting 5-7 days after surgery before taking other medications that can have a similar effect such as aspirin or Ibuprofen. I recommend this to my patients for alcohol as well...minimum of 5 days before having a drink.

But, there is also the possibility that alcohol may beneficial to graft survival in that it dilates your blood vessels under your skin and could potentially improve fat graft survival. Who knows?

I definitely would not recommend any of my patients drink alcohol during the first few days after surgery, and definitely not as long as they are taking the narcotic pain medication. But, once off the pain pills, maybe a drink (One drink) per day would be beneficial? I do not believe it would be harmful.

Alcohol after fat transfer or grafting?

+2

Hi Casey Drew in Sweden,

Depending on how difficult and stressful the case, the surgical team can consume alcohol immediately after the case (just kidding). 

Waiting about 1 to 2 weeks after the fat transfer should be fine for a patient.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Alcohol and fat garfting

+1

In moderation (1 drink/day) alcohol is probably OK and much safer that smoking after surgery.  But it is a good idea to not expose the freshly grafted fat to any toxins (alcohol). 

Web reference: http://www.seattleface.com/html/fat_injection.php

Usually 1-2 weeks of no alcohol after cosmetic surgery

+1

The reasons patients are advised to forego alcohol after any surgery are 1) it can interact with other medications, particularly pain medications, prescribed after surgery and 2) alcohol can 'thin' the blood and cause extra bruising. Delaying alcohol intake for at least 1 week and preferably 2 weeks should be sufficient to avoid any adverse events.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Avoidance of alcohol around surgery

+1

The classical answer for avoidance of all blood thinning agents is a minimum of 10 days. Given that alcohol is a blood thinning agent, this would fall within that time frame.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/body.html

Alcohol after surgery

+1

Because alcohol has the potential to thin your blood and promote bleeding, it would be wise to avoid it for 2 weeks after surgery.  Bleeding around the fat grafts may lessen their "take." 

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com