Does This Look Like Loose Skin or Mostly Fat? (photo)

I was just wondering if it matters how much skin you have in order obtain a better result? And I'm not sure if mine is. Mostly fat or lose skin?

+1

BOTH! You would be best served via a full tummy tuck. Seek in person opinions from boarded PSs in your city. 

Loose Skin or Mostly Fat?

+1

It appears that you have 3 components: Excess loose skin, an excess of fatty tissue, and abdominal muscle weakness. All 3 can be optimally addressed with a full tummy tuck (abdominoplasty).

Keep in mind, that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on seeing 2 dimensional photos and without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure may not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.  Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Fat versus skin...

+1

Do a crunch and then pinch your tummy... if thin, its just skin.  If thick, you have a fatty component.  And your photos suggest only a full tummy tuck will provide a satisfactory outcome.

Curtis Wong, MD

Does This Look Like Loose Skin or Mostly Fat?

+1

There is a skin component and a fat component.  Both of these could be removed in a tummy tuck.  In addition, any abdominal wall laxity could be improved during the surgery as well.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Loose skin, extra fat and loose muscle can all be addressed with a tummy tuck

+1

Your photo suggests all three issues exist.  A tummy tuck is the appropriate surgery to address this.  An in person exam and consultation is needed to determine the best approach and timing of surgery, whether weight loss is needed, etc.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

+1

Your photos illustrate excess skin, excess fat, and lax abdominal muscles. All three of these would be addressed by a tummy tuck. Best outcome will occur in patients who are close to their desired weight. 

When you are ready for an in person consultation,RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

LOOSE SKIN

+1

You appear to have extra skin and fat as well as laxity of the abdominal wall. After an examination I would recommend a full abdominoplasty. I think you would get excellent results.

Michael Hueneke, MD