I Have Heard That It is Smart to Lipo the Mons Pubis During a Mommy Makeover. Anything Else?

Liposuction of the mons pubis

+1

Thank you for the question!  The mons pubis is an area that should be addressed during evaluation of the abdomen/tummy tuck procedure.  Ideally, the contour of the mons should match that of the lower abdomen area above.  Typically, direct excision of skin/fatty tissue of the area or liposuction should be performed to create an equally contoured area for the best aesthetically-pleasing result.  

Liposuction is a nice adjunct procedure that could be performed to this area along with the flanks and hips/thighs to add additional contouring, if needed, to these areas that are not fully addressed via the tummy tuck alone.  I would recommend a consultation with a plastic surgeon to examine and evaluate you and assist you in determining which procedure(s) would be the right one(s) for you.  I hope that these answers help!  Best of luck!

What about the Mons?

+1

Great question. In my opinion, the mons should always be evaluated in every tummy tuck. There's no point in getting a great looking tummy and have to hide a prominent mons. The mons is the padded area low down over the pubic bone. It can be reduced with liposuction and at times may need actual skin removal. This in not necessary in everyone but needs to be discussed and thought about in every case.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Liposuction of the Mons During Mommy Makeover

+1

Liposuction of the mons can be performed as an adjunct during the mommy makeover as can liposuction of the sides and back in addition to the tummy tuck.  Also, breast lift may be needed in conjunction with the breast augmentation and can be performed at the same time.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Liposuction of the pubic region during Mommy Makeover

+1

Lipo of the mons pubis is not an absolute during Mommy Makeover surgery. Sometimes just the lift of the pubis area is adequate. I rarely lipo this area - could lead to swelling and healing problems after tummy tuck. Discuss this with your Board-certified plastic surgeon to see if this procedure would optimize your outcome.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Should I have lipo to my mons pubis during a Tummy Tuck procedure?

+1

The simple answer is, yes.  I generally liposuction the mons area during a tummy tuck to allow for the upper and lower flaps to come together in a more optimal manner.  With the aging process, we generally see some progressive fullness to this area which usually responds quite nicely to local suction.  

As for other areas, it really depends on what you need individually.  I usually prefer to include (at a minimum) liposuction of the abdominal wall, flanks, upper buttocks, and hips to create a more comprehensive and 3-dimensional result.  From there, you can also look at other body areas such as the thighs, upper lateral breasts, submentum, etc.  

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction to the mons pubis

+1

Liposuction to the mons is commonly performed in my practice.  If there is a fat deposit in this area, it can be very prominent after a tummy tuck is done.  I often will also liposuction the abdominal skin and flanks as well.  This improves the result of surgery by reducing fat in these areas that can become quite obvious after a tummy tuck is done.

Thanks for your question

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of Mons Area During Mommy Makeover

+1

If the mons area appears to be enlarged it is a good idea to reduce the size of it during the tummy tuck portion of a mommy makeover.  By doing so, it allows for a smooth transition from the tummy to the mons area.  Otherwise, it may appear as a bulge in tighter fitting clothing.  Liposuction of the hips and lower back can also added to the shaping of the tummy tuck.  A conservative amount can be done in the upper abdomen, but care needs to be done by the surgeon with the amount of undermining when doing so.  Always seek out a board-certified surgeon when considering a surgical procedure such as this. 

Brian Joseph MD FACS

Brian Joseph, MD

Liposuction of the Mons Pubis should be done if enlarged.

+1

Whether the mons pubis should be liposuctioned during a mommy makeover is totally dependant on whether it is enlarged/thickened in relation to the tissues around it.  If a tummy tuck is being done and the abdominal tissues are thinner than the mons, liposuction will help blend the contour to get the best result. You should expect some bruising in the mons after as it is the lowest point and fluid settles there, but be patient and this will resolve.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Lipo the Mons Pubis

+1

If the mons is enlarged, it can be reduced by either liposuction or by direct excision (the incision is already there!).  Expect some swelling after your surgery, and be patient!

Thanks for your question, all the best. 

Liposuction of the Mons is occasionally part of a mommy makeover.

+1

A small fat pad over the Mons is anatomically normal. One excessive it is a simple thing to reduce it was liposuction. This is occasionally part of a mommy makeover.