Is my Bulging Pubic Area Just Normal Swelling After Full Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I am 5 weeks post op from a full tummy tuck (I know it's still early in the healing process). My pubic area is very firm and bulging out. Is this swelling, will this go down? I feel a think band of firm tissue under the skin that is the length of the incision, because of this, my scar is slightly raised and creates a shadow making the incision appear much worse than it is. Please tell me this is all normal, and will continue to heal so everything is laying flat!

Swelling after tummy tuck

+2

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck healing.

1. Your photos suggest a lot of swelling. 
  2. Scar firmness is entirely normal after a tummy tuck.
  3. See your tummy tuck surgeon to be checked to be sure all is well.
  4. If the result is not what you hope for after 6 months, your surgeon can probably do an in-office revision. Hope this helps.

Swelling after abdominoplasty

+1

It looks to me like you have a fairly large seroma which is a fluid collection under the skin.  It would require an exam to be sure.  You should see your plastic surgeon right away for an exam.  He/she may want to try to aspirate some fluid both to make the diagnosis and then to drain the fluid.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Is my Bulging Pubic Area Just Normal Swelling After Full Tummy Tuck?

+1

It is always difficult to comment on outcome without seeing a preop photo. Many patients still have significant swelling at five weeks. Without an actual exam, it is hard to tell from photos. The scar is often firm--and at its maximum at 6-8 weeks. Hopefully you are following regularly with your surgeon. Occasionally fluid build up occurs under the skin (seroma if serum, hematoma if blood) and needs to be removed by the surgeon.

All the best.