Are There Are Any Scar Remedies Available to Make my Accidental Traumatic Scars As Small and Inconspicuous As Possible? (photo)

I have 2 facial scars that I want to have work done on if possible. One of the areas is by the right side of my nose and the other is by my right ear. The one by my right ear was excised this past January, but it is still a little red for my liking. The scars are a result of me using a mole vanishing cream and then foolishly picking at it because of various circumstances. Is there any course of action anyone could recommend I try? I met with an esthetician who is having me start microderm.

+1

Scar maturation takes at least a year to 18 months. But using IPL may improve the color changes or even a ruby Q-switched laser. 

Managing Scars

+1

Hi Rkutey15

Considering it is now 6 months after your injury/surgery, your scars are likely to do best with laser treatments. Silicone sheeting may still help, but the scars will temporarily get a bit more pink when you start the treatment. Microdermabrasion is unlikely to achieve a lot.

I would advise you to try less invasive treatments until the scars are a year old, and then consider surgical revision if they still bother you.

Good Luck

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Gavin Sandercoe, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Are There Are Any Scar Remedies Available to Make my Accidental Traumatic Scars As Small and Inconspicuous As Possible?

+1

First off, I do not think that microdermabrasion will improve the size or color of your scars. It does appear that the scar in front of your right ear has widened following its revision. The treatment that would likely serve you best is a laser treatment to reduce the redness. This should make both scars much less noticeable. In addition, silicon sheeting can help scars heal. You should also be wearing sunscreen to minimize hyperpigmentation resulting from sun exposure. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon