Preventing Scarring from Pulled Scab Inside Nostril After Rhinoplasty?

11 days post-op from rhinoplasty. 3 days ago I was using peroxide and q-tips to clean out dried blood inside my nostrils and I accidentally pulled out a scab that I mistakenly thought was blood. There is a fairly large open wound now inside my nostril, extending to just slightly outside the nostril. Should I be worried about scarring and is there anything I can do to help prevent scarring?

Removing scab and opening in nose

+1

Without a proper evaluation it is difficult to evaluate your problem, but I would suggest taht you contact your surgeon ASAP.

See your doctor

+1

If you were my patient I would want to you come in right away to see exactly what is going on in the nose. There are many ways to manage open areas in the nose to get things to heal as well as possible.  In the meanwhile keeping the area clean and applying a lubricant ointment will ensure things will stay protected.

Jason Lichtenberger, MD
Bellingham Facial Plastic Surgeon

After rhinoplasty, your surgeon is the best person to direct your care.

+1

I realize you are trying to get peace of mind without seeing your doctor, but the best option is to follow up with her/him and let her take a look.  That way you can rest assured you have nothing to worry about, and she/he will be the best one to make that assessment.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD