Can I Go to Alaska to See Aurora 2 Weeks After Tip-rhinoplasty?

Is the temperature there too low for post-op recovery?Besides,what about the hot spring there, is that also bad for recovery?

Temperature Extremes after Rhinoplasty

+2

I would avoid the hot springs and extreme cold.  You will not have normal sensation and you will have incisions.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Heading to Alaska 2 Weeks After Rhinoplasty Surgery

+2

I would be very cautious if I were you given the fact that extreme temperatures can negatively impact your rhinoplasty results - especially within 2 weeks of having surgery. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip rhinoplasty and recovery time

+2

There is no traveling restriction ten days after any type of rhinoplasties. However I do not recommend prolong exposure to extreme temperatures for two months  post surgery.You can proceed with your plan and enjoy the trip as long as you protect your nose.

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tip-plasty post op travel

+2

It is certainly ok to travel 2 weeks after nose surgery.  Be careful about protecting the tip of your nose from frostbite since it will still be numb from the surgery.  Enjoy the Aurora Borealis, this is a great time of year to see it

Rhinoplasty and travel two weeks later

+2

You possibly can go two weeks after tip-plasty but why chance it?  What if you have a problem and you are away during this early post-op period?

+2

I'm jealous, I'd love to see that. Travel after the surgery is not an issue, but the skin can be damaged early on by cold so make sure you have a facemask or scarf of some type to wear if the temperature is close to or below freezing.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Temperature sensitivity post rhinoplasty

+2

Go to Alaska and enjoy yourself.  Keep your nose covered as you would protect it normally in cold conditions.  Remember that the skin of the tip of the nose will not be as sensitive to cold or heat early on post tip plasty so you need to be careful.  Often we see an increase in mucous production (runny nose) following rhinoplasty ... you will likely experience this in the cold weather.

Andrew B. Denton, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon