Breast Augmentation 3 Weeks Ago, I Can Feel the Edges of the Implant?

I had breast augmentation a little over 3 weeks ago. One of my breasts came down to where it is supposed to be (i think), the other one is on its way. I had the under-the muscle placement with gummy bear implants periareolar incision. just recently I started feeling the edges of the implant through the skin under the breast that had come down. If I lean forward I can feel the edges of implants pretty much all around except the top of the breast on both sides. Is that normal?

Feeling the edge of the breast implant

+2

Hi

It all sounds perfectly natural. The fact that your implants are placed under the muscle suggests that you are slim - so do not worry about being able to feel the edge of the implant. Also, allow a few months for the implants to settle down.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Feeling the Implant Edges

+1

Feeling the implant edges after breast augmentation in a thin individual without a great deal of breast tissue should be expected.

I Can Feel the Edges of Implant #breastimplants

+1

It is very normal to be able to feel the implants. I have no idea what kind of tissue type you are starting with. Some women have very thick tissue and skin and are much less prone to feeling the implant edges. Thin skinned women are at much greater risk than thick skinned women. It is not a bad sign that you can feel them and over time as the tissues become thinner they might become more palpable or visible. It is simply the nature of having implants. Make sure to touch base with your surgeon and keep them informed of your concerns.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Feeling Edge of Implant is not Uncommon

+1

It is not uncommon to be able to feel the edges of a breast implant, particularly for women are thin.  This is most common in the lower pole of the breast. If this remains a concern to you, please talk to your plastic surgeon.  Most importantly, this is not something you need to be concerned about. It is  considered normal.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Feeling implant

+1

The thinner you are the more likely you will feel the edge of the implants.  It is most common in the lower pole.

Breasts implants can be felt through the skin

+1

It pretty normal to be able to feel, and sometimes even see the outline of the breast implants in the lower pole of the breast. This is not a concern at all. If you dislike the appearance of your new augmentation, see your plastic surgeon.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Palpable Implants

+1

The ability to feel the implant over the lower pole of the breast is common. The reason for this is that it has less tissue coverage here as opposed to the upper aspect where the muscle overlays the implant. Unless you are extremely thin skinned, you should not see the edge of the implant but feeling it is normal.

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon