Am I A Good Candidate For Alarplasty? I'd Like A Natural Look. (photo)

Hi, im thinking about getting alarplasty. Can you look at my picture and tell me if this procedure will improve the look of my nose. I want the new nose to look natural and fits my face. thanks, carlos

Thinner nose

+1

From your photo, it seems you are a candidate for an alarplasty.  You do have an ethnic look; results may look unnatural only because of that.  An in person consultation would examine your personal goals and expectations for the surgery.

Natural look alarplasty

+1

Hi. I think you are dealing with two issues here that you need to get straight in your mind so that you have realistic expectations and are not disappointed. You certainly can have your nostril width reduced and when executed carefully it will look good and blend with your face. However you have an ethnic appearance in which a wide nostril base is the natural look. By changing it to narrow it you are automatically introducing a somewhat unnatural look to your face and you need to be aware of that before you proceed. This website is filled with patients who request this and then post regrets and wishes for reversal within a month of their surgery. I cn only believe that occurs because they just don't realize how significant the changes they have asked for are in relation to their natural ethnic appearance.

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alarplasty

+1

The base of the nose can be narrowed and nostril flare can be reduced with an alarplasty depending on the needs of each individual patient. Every rhinoplasty patient's goals should be a natural nose that is proportional to the surrounding facial features. In addition to discussing  your nasal base evaluate the rest of your nasal features.

Alar base treatment

+1

Alar base reduction is performed for patients with wide nasal bases. This can be combined to treat flare or width or both.  From the photos it looks like you may be a good candidate, but an exam in person is critical.

Rhinoplasty

+1

Since the base of the ala is wide you could remove the outer nostril corners (alarplasty) to correct this. That however will not the rotation of the tip and you will still be looking directly into the nostrils on a frontal view. If that is not an issue for you you do not have to do anything about it. If it is an issue you will need augmentation of the nasal bridge as well.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Alar reduction

+1

Hi Carlos,

You could have the alar base reduction performed but you want it to be a base narrowing procedure and not an alar plasty that removes any of your actual nostril.  You want them to move inward, not cut shorter. 

Also, I think if your bridge and nasal tip had a slightly stronger more projected look that would complement your alar procedure.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar Base Reduction

+1

Hi Carlos.  Alar base reduction is a popular request and should be performed so that your results are natural appearing and balanced with the rest of your face.  Often times, it can be done under local anesthesia while you are awake.  Based on the photo you provide, I think you would get excellent results.

Web reference: http://www.kimberlyleemd.com/procedures2/alarbasereduction

Alar reduction with natural look.

+1

Hi CZL

Thank you for posting a picture.  Reduction of the ala can certainly be done with a natural look if your surgeon is conservative and meticulous with the reduction. 

The incisions are placed in the alar crease, and can be very well hidden,  Remember that the nose needs to be balanced in order to keep it natural, and narrowing of one portion of the nose may require narrowing in other areas to allow the appearance to remain natural.  The best way to proceed is to seek consultation with a Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon with experience in nasal surgery.  The surgeon should be able to show you how your results would look with computerized imaging and before-after pictures of other patients.  

Good luck - Dr. Torkian