Considering Alarplasty for my Nostrils - Would I Be a Good Candidate?

Hi, I have been considering a nostril reduction for a long time. I love the bridge of my nose it is fairly narrow and high/tall for an asian but i want my nostrils to be smaller. I am just wondering if my face/ nose can handle this alarplasty procedure alone? Also if i will it leave any scars? I scar very easily everywhere on my body especially on my face.

Nostril narrowing without rhinoplasty.

+2

Leave your nostrils alone! They are in proportion to the rest of your face. Narrowing them will make the tip look wider.

No alarplasty indicated here

+1

All nasal aesthetics are based on proportion.  If you narrow your nostrils, your tip will look wider.  I believe that would be a mistake, and will change something that you already like.  I would discourage you from making the change.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Alarplasty will narrow alar base

+1

There are many different techniques for narrowing the alar base.  Some narrow the width of  alar flare and some will make the nostril smaller as well. Consultation will determine which technique is best for you but you may be pleased by an alarplasty performed by a rhinoplasty specialist.

Richard Gentile, MD
Youngstown Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alarplasty reduces wide nostrils

+1

Alarplasty is a procedure used to reduce wide nostrils. It is important to make sure that the nostrils are quite wide because when the alarplasty is done it will narrow the nostril base. If the nostrils are already an adequate size, an alarplasty may cause a pinched look and restrict airflow. The incisions for this are placed right on the floor of the nostril sill and usually are very inconspicuous.  

Alarplasty for nostrils

+1

It is not uncommon to perform an alar base reduction by itself. When performed properly by a highly skilled surgeon, any scars left with an alar base reduction are minimally visible.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Alarplasty For Nostrils

+1

It appears your nostrils are asymmetrical with increased flaring on the left side. You need a careful physical examination to determine width and contour. 

Alarplasty does leave scars, so be careful

+1

The best way to decide if your nostrils are too wide is to draw a line straight down from the inner corner of your eye. If the line crosses over the nostril, then they are too wide. From the angle of your photo, I cannot tell this about your nose.

In order to reduce the nostril size, we make a wedge incision along the nostril where it meets the cheek. While these scars are usually well camouflaged in the crease, sometimes they can be noticeable, especially in darker skin types. You certainly may be a candidate for this procedure, just be very sure you are willing to take the risk of a visible scar.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon