Can alarplasty look natural on an "ethnic" nose? (photo)

I am satisfied with the height and shape of my nose. However, I would like to reduce the flare at the base and decrease width at the base by around 3-5 mm. Are there any possible procedures that can reduce the width while preserving the natural curvature and shape? I have noticed in many "before and after" photos of alarplasty that the side of the base looks unnaturally flat. Also, in such a case, it is recommended that I seek a surgeon who is experienced with Asians? Thanks for your time.

Alar base reduction to reduce nostril flare

+2
Seeing a base photo of your nose would help with assessing your concerns, but I can say that alar base reduction using a wedge excision technique typically works very well in reducing excess nostril flare. The incision line is hidden in the natural skin crease where the nostril meets the cheek. You can read more about this type of surgery at my web reference link below.

Alarplasty with Natural Result

+2

An alarplasty can narrow the base of the nose and decrease nostril flare. Please submit a picture of the base of your nose so I can show you where the incisions would be made to achieve a natural result.

Alaplasty

+2

Thank you for your photos though we really need more views to give an intelligent answer. That said an alaplasy alone in the context of the photos that you have supplied might not give you the result you want without further refinements to the nose

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Can alarplasty look natural on an "ethnic" nose?

+2

Natural results can be achieved for anyone of any ethnicity. I tailor the operation to what each patient wants.

Alarplasty for Asian patient

+1

Alarplasty or nostril reduction is very common in ethnic rhinoplasty. The surgeon must discern if the problem is flare or width of the nostril sill. Flare can be corrected with a wedge excision leaving the natural shape of the nostril opening, and often improving the overall width of the base. Consult with an experienced rhinoplasty specialist. Good Luck!

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon