Alarplasty After Septo-Rhinoplasty for Facial Symmetry?

I've waited over a year and a half for the swelling from my septo-rhinoplasty to go down. Now, I am considering a procedure called Alarplasty. My former surgeon informed me that I might need to come back at a later time to undergo this procedure. Would you recommend that I do that to add symmetry to my face?

is not uncommon to defer performing an alar plasty at a later date after the original surgery. This is also know as an alar base resection. It is difficult if not impossible to comment on the photo that you provided, the surgeon should see you in person.

1016 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Alarplasty in Nasal Surgery

When in doubt, some surgeons prefer to do the alarplasty as a secondary procedure. The surgery is done to narrow the base of the nose. The single picture submitted does suggest this would be beneficial. Send an upclose and profile views for a more complete evaluation.

416 N Bedford Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Alarplasty for facial symmetry

The alarplasty technique involves making two small incisions at the base of the nostrils in an effort to reduce the alar flare and the width of the nostrils. It can be done anytime after a rhinoplasty and takes approximately 30 minutes. It can make the face look more symmetrical when there is too much alar flare and it is out of proportion with the rest of the facial features.

1101 Madison St
Seattle, WA 98104

SELF PROMO Alarplasty after Septo-Rhinoplasty

It is strictly a personal preference as to whether or not you should have alarplasty. I have a great deal of experience performing alarplasties, and I would be happy to take a look at any additional photos you may have. A close up photo would be great. You may visit my website to see examples or alarplasties I have performed. My contact information is listed in my profile. Thank you and best of luck.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

120 South Spalding Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Alarplasty after Septo-Rhinoplasty not a good idea

You have wide base and alar reduction by it self will make your tip look rounder and bigger. Alar reducton is a good procedure for the right patient.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

3901 Veterans Blvd
Metairie, LA 70002

Facial symmetry

I am not sure what you are referring to, and what exactly you consider to be asymmetrical.

I see that your ala are a bit wide, but I don't see any significant asymmetry. Also, you cock your head so it is difficult to evaluate.

I think it is important to understand that facial symmetry does not equate to facial beauty. Slight asymmetry between the sides tends to make the face much more attractive.

I agree with Dr. S. otherwise with his assessment.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

2813 W Southlake Blvd
Southlake, TX 76092

First, an important photo view would be to see one in the worm's eye view. From below. It is always better to evaluate this in person. It can be performed to narrow the width, to improve flare, and to make the nostrils smaller.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Best techniques for alar base reduction

I imagine this is a repeat of a previous question. We generally refrain from commenting on pictures, preferring instead to see patients in person -- where smiling can be viewed as well as at rest to determine width of the ala.

Rhinoplasty, including alar base reduction, should be individualized to suit your individual face. Most plastic surgeons are familiar with Weir reduction for reducing alar flare, but we often find that patients do better by having the area inside the nostril reduced as well (sill reduction).Done correctly this allows you to maintain the natural curvature of your nostril while having it reduced.

For more information on alar base reduction, I welcome you to review our blog at rhinoplastyinbeverlyhills, search alar base.

And feel free to let us know if we can be of any further help.

Happy Holidays!

Peyman Solieman, MD

9201 West Sunset Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90069

I don't think alarplasty is your answer. It appears that your nose is slightly deviated to the left. An alarplasty will make that look more asymmetric. Consider narrowing and straightening your bridge more.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

44 East 65th Street
New York, NY 10021