Alarplasty After Septo-Rhinoplasty for Facial Symmetry?

I've waited over a year and a half for the swelling from my septo-rhinoplasty to go down. Now, I am considering a procedure called Alarplasty. My former surgeon informed me that I might need to come back at a later time to undergo this procedure. Would you recommend that I do that to add symmetry to my face?

Alarplasty

+1

is not uncommon to defer performing an alar plasty at a later date after the original surgery. This is also know as an alar base resection. It is difficult if not impossible to comment on the photo that you provided, the surgeon should see you in person.

Alarplasty in Nasal Surgery

+1

When in doubt, some surgeons prefer to do the alarplasty as a secondary procedure. The surgery is done to narrow the base of the nose. The single picture submitted does suggest this would be beneficial. Send an upclose and profile views for a more complete evaluation.

Alarplasty for facial symmetry

+1

The alarplasty technique involves making two small incisions at the base of the nostrils in an effort to reduce the alar flare and the width of the nostrils. It can be done anytime after a rhinoplasty and takes approximately 30 minutes. It can make the face look more symmetrical when there is too much alar flare and it is out of proportion with the rest of the facial features.

Alarplasty after Septo-Rhinoplasty not a good idea

+1

You have wide base and alar reduction by it self will make your tip look rounder and bigger. Alar reducton is a good procedure for the right patient.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Facial symmetry

+1

I am not sure what you are referring to, and what exactly you consider to be asymmetrical.

I see that your ala are a bit wide, but I don't see any significant asymmetry. Also, you cock your head so it is difficult to evaluate.

I think it is important to understand that facial symmetry does not equate to facial beauty. Slight asymmetry between the sides tends to make the face much more attractive.

I agree with Dr. S. otherwise with his assessment.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Alarplasty

+1

First, an important photo view would be to see one in the worm's eye view. From below. It is always better to evaluate this in person. It can be performed to narrow the width, to improve flare, and to make the nostrils smaller.

Best techniques for alar base reduction

+1

Betsey,

I imagine this is a repeat of a previous question. We generally refrain from commenting on pictures, preferring instead to see patients in person -- where smiling can be viewed as well as at rest to determine width of the ala.

Rhinoplasty, including alar base reduction, should be individualized to suit your individual face. Most plastic surgeons are familiar with Weir reduction for reducing alar flare, but we often find that patients do better by having the area inside the nostril reduced as well (sill reduction).Done correctly this allows you to maintain the natural curvature of your nostril while having it reduced.

For more information on alar base reduction, I welcome you to review our blog at rhinoplastyinbeverlyhills, search alar base.

And feel free to let us know if we can be of any further help.

Happy Holidays!

Peyman Solieman, MD

Alarplasty

+1

Hi,

I don't think alarplasty is your answer. It appears that your nose is slightly deviated to the left. An alarplasty will make that look more asymmetric. Consider narrowing and straightening your bridge more.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS