Alar rim graft showing through skin

Hi,  I am at 18 days post revision rhinoplasty which included an alar rim graft to correct nostril asymmetry. I can still see a slight oval outline impression of where the graft was placed. Is there a chance this is still swelling and will smooth out over time? 

Rhinoplasty surgery and cartilage

+2

Dear ACHNYC,

• This will improve over time and the outline you see can just be skin swelling over the cartilage
  • Just bring this concern up to your surgeon so he/she is aware
  • With revision surgery, patience is key because swelling can take months to resolve, but will be worth it in the end

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Alar Rim Graft Visibility 18 days after Rhinoplasty

+1

First, realize that nostril asymmetry is a very challenging problem to get exact.  If you like the way the new nostrils look, you are likely going to have a nice result.  Cartilage graft visibility can always be an issue.  This tends to be more visible in patients with thinner skin.  However, less than 3 weeks is a little too early to be making any judgements.

Revision rhinoplasty result seen at a year.

+1

Hi.

Without pictures or an exam, it is hard to be helpful.  My advice is be optimistic!  There is nothing to do for a long time in any case.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Alar Rim Graft Visibility

+1

There is certainly a chance this visible outline from the alar rim graft will disappear with added healing time. At 18 days out from surgery, you are still quite early. Wishing you the best.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Outline of graft

+1

At 18 days the nose is very swollen. It may be the swelling that is contributing to the look. Give it time to settle down.