What Changes to Expect with Alar Reduction?

I recently saw a plastic surgeon because I wanted to reduce the width of my nostrils. He explained that it was a quick surgery involving 1 incision on each side of the nostrils, removing some of the width. When I reviewed my pre-op bill it says "Alar Reduction". Doesn't that involve the nose base?

Alar Reduction

+1

Alar reductions are done to narrow the width of the nostrils and alar base or to reduce the flare of the alae (the lateral walls of the nostrils). Either or both can be achieved depending on incision placement.

Alar reduction

+1

Yes, an alar reduction is removing a portion of the nostril with a cut on either side of the nose. You get immediate improvement in the width of the nose.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

What is alar reduction.

+1

It means moving the nostrils closer together or removing a wedge out of the nostril along the side. I do not do the latter since I see many "bad scars" since the skin in that area is very oily and doesn't heal as nicely as incisions in the base.

Alar reduction

+1

An alar reduction can reduce the width of the base of the nose.  There are many different types of alar reductions.