Will I Need a Tip Reduction Along with an Alar Reduction?

I have large nostrils (always hated it ... got teased as a kid on the bus) and want to have alar reduction ... but am concerned about whether there is enough to work with to actually succeed in reducing nostril size. Would my tip need to be reduced as well?

Alar reduction with or without tip reduction

+1

It is impossible to say without a frontal view as to whether or not a tip and/or alar reduction has to be performed. It does appear from the side profile that you do have wide nostrils and an alarplasty may be indicated.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Tip and Alar Reduction

+1

Alar reduction is done to narrow the base of the nose; it is impossibe to determine if this will be necessary looking at the profile view you submitted. Your alar rim is retracted causing "columellar  show".  By adding grafts the rim can be lowered. Your nose also looks short ( over-rotated tip). This would be improved by decreasing the tip rotation. Seek consutation with careful examination to evaluate your alternatives.

Nasal anatomy

+1

Your nostrils do look large but you are also ave an over-rotated tip. Derotating the tip may improve things a bit as well.

Nasal Columellar Show

+1

Hi,

From the side view, you have excess columellar show.  The angle between your lip and nose is larger than normal.  To correct the large nostrils that you "have always hated", you will likely need to have the alar rim edge lowered with a skin-cartilage graft from your ear.  Consult with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.  Whether to narrow your ala is determined from a frontal and basal view.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Alar Reduction with / without Tip Rhinoplasty

+1

An Alar Reduction is actually much more of an Alar FLARE Reduction. the Weir procedure was designed to yield less pulled/flaring nostrils as are commonly seen in African and Central American (Mestizo) noses. Attempting to reduce non-flaring noses should be done cautiously. Without a good frontal view of your nasal tip and nostrils, any opinions I would be giving would be guesses. From the side you appear to have a good looking tip that I would NOT recommend you change.