Can alar reduction be done with Local anesthesia after revison rhinoplasty ?

my two nostrils aren't symmetric and I think that I will need an alar reduction, should I wait for an entire year ? and will it need Local anesthesia or General, please help ?

+1

Alar base reduction can be performed under local anesthesia after the swelling has resolved.

Can alar reduction be done with local anesthesia after revision rhinoplasty?

+1

Yes, alar reduction can be done with local anesthesia after revision rhinoplasty. It is possible that your issue may improve some more with more time however. I'm not sure how long ago your revision rhinoplasty was done, but as you know, it can take 6-12 months and sometimes longer for all of the healing to occur. I would discuss the options with your surgeon.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar reduction under local

+1

yes. the answer is yes but realself rules wont permit an answer to be submitted unless it uses 100 + characters.

so yes

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Rhinoplasty under local

+1

Sure, an alar base reduction is certainly possible under local.

That said, there are two other issues that you have to consider. Number one, nostril asymmetry can have many causes and treatments, of which alar reduction is only one. You many need work on other parts of the nose or a graft.

Two, it's always sensible to wait for a certain amount of time after surgery before doing any sort of major revision. As the nose heals, swelling decreases, and scar matures, the nose will often change, either for better or for worse. Trying to do fine modifications while still healing from a previous surgery can be very challenging. A year is a little conservative but many surgeons would want to wait several months after a revision before performing additional surgery.

Robert Kang Kwon, MD
Richardson Plastic Surgeon