Will Alar Base Reduction Make Bulbous Tip Worse?

I have an oily, thick nose with what I consider a wide nostril base. I was considering having an alar base reduction but i've heard the swelling from rhinoplasty never fully goes away. If

Alar Base Reduction with Bulbous Tip

+1

One can perform alar base reduction with correction of a bulbous tip simultaneously. If one does one procedure without the other it may exacerbate the asymmetry. These operative procedures require skill and expertise of a rhinoplasty surgeon as well as a detailed preoperative analysis with precise planning and execution.

Alar wedge excision

+1

The swelling after rhinoplasty does go down. An alar wedge or nostril narrowing will show an immediate improvement in the widge of your nostrils. It should not accentuate the tip but this could be reduced also. I am offering a temporary price reduction on all cosmetic procedures including excellent financing. Watch my video.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Alar Base Reduction with Bulbous Tip

+1

Swelling after nasal surgery will resolve, but may take longer in a patient  with thick, oily skin. Discuss aesthetics and alternative approaches with an experienced surgeon. You are correct in asking for a nose that is proportional, not trading one unwanted characteristic for another.

Swelling in Rhinoplasty...What Goes Up Must Come Down

+1

Hi Michelle,

Despite what you have heard, the nose and rhinoplasty do obey Newton's Law's of physics, "What goes up (swelling) must come down!"  Your bulbous nasal tip can be made smaller and more attractive with properly performed rhinoplasty.  Alarplasty will make your nostrils smaller by the removal of tissue.  If your nose bothers you enough, you should not hesitate to consult with experienced and skilled rhinoplasty surgeons, and then choose your surgeon most carefully.

As for me, I'm going to go toss an apple in the air and have a bite when it comes down.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Alar Base Reduction and Bulbous Tip

+1

Hi,

If you have an alar base reduction you will have very slight temporary swelling of your tip. The swelling will subside in a couple of weeks and your tip will be the same as it was before.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Will alar base reduction make a bulbous tip worse.

+1

The swelling will go away. But the real issue you need to consider is the tip looking wider after the base is narrowed. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for this.

Alar base reduction and a bulbous tip

+1

You've asked some good questions. Swelling from rhinoplasty does go away but it can take a little longer in someone with thicker skin. You will feel comfortable being seen within a week or so after surgery and the improvements will continue beyond that point.

The answer to your second question is relative. Changes made to one area of your nose can change how we see other areas of your nose. If you narrow your nostril base substantially, it can sometimes make your slightly bulbous tip look a little wider in relation. In these cases, it is sometimes preferable to alter the entire tip. It would be best for you to consult with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who can explore your desired look and show you with computer imaging what you  can expect.

All the best.

Jason Litner, MD

Alar base reduction make bulbous tip worse

+1

Without photos very hard to answer your issue. My guess is yes there can be an appearance of a more bulbous tip after alar base reduction.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Alar base reduction and bulbous tip

+1

Alar base reduction will simply reduce the size of the alar flare and alar bases. It will not make a bulbous tip any worse whatsoever. The swelling of a bulbous tip rhinoplasty procedure will actually stay swollen for upwards of a year.