Nostrils Lost Curve After Alar Reduction

I do not think that my alar reduction was successful. My nostrils seem to have lost their curve. What can be done? Also would dermabrasion help with the scars?

Nostril Curve after Alar Reduction

+1

You don't mention when the surgery was done. Wait at least 6-12 months to critique your nostril contour. Dermabrasion will do little to improve the scars. Ultimately, scar revision may be necessary.

Alar wedge (nostril reduction)

+1

I do an alar wedge or nostril reduction in a minority of the nose surgeries that I perform. It does really significantly narrow the nose and make it look smaller. If you draw a line fromm the corner of your mouth to the inside corner of your eye and your nostril is "outside" that line, then a nostril reduction will help. Scars are usually hidden within the crease but need time(even up to a year) for them to fade. They can be improved with a laser,dermabrasion.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Nostril curve after alar reduction.

+1

Sometimes the curve is lost because the surgeon had to make the incision more laterally than we like. Dermabrasion probably won't help and you should wait at least 1 year. Fortunately, you don't walk around with this view showing.

Alar reduction

+1

Depending upon what was desired to be corrected may determine the results of alar base surgery.  The goal is to correct for flare and or base width issues.  Hard to tell unless I saw other views and the preop photos.

Alar base reduction

+1

In some instances an alar cinching suture may help to restore or maintain the curve of the ala. However, it is most likely this curve that contributed to the width of the nostrils.