Is alarplasty a dying trend? (photo)

My doctor says he won't do alar base reduction because "it causes too much extreme scarring." I am disappointed. I really want my nose less wide. It's one of the main things that bothers me. He offered to do a suture pinch from inside the upper lip area but I understand this is minimally effective and prone to failure anyway. Why bother if it won't last? Is alar base reduction a bad choice? Should I find another doctor or go with his logic?

Alar surgery

+2
kpeton, I've been doing nothing but faces for over 25 years and that includes a whole bunch of noses. I recently reviewed the last ten years of noses and found that I did secondary alar rim surgery in about 8% of my patients. the scar has not been as issuue for my patients. See a facial plastic specialist. Good luck!!

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar plasty is very common

+2
An alar plasty is a very common procedure performed in rhinoplasty today. It is only performed when patients have wide nostrils. The incisions for  an alar plasty in our practice are either located completely inside the nostrils, or just barely come out of the nostril rim at the sill.. When performed meticulously this incision is  minimally undetectable.

Alar base reduction

+2
I would not agree that it causes "extreme scarring".  If designed and executed properly, the scars are typically very hard to see.  They can be dermabraded if needed as well.  It is still a common maneuver performed with rhinoplasty. 

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar Reduction and Scarring

+1
As long as the right technique is used and the operation is done correctly you will get good results. 

William J. Welsh, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is alarplasty a dying trend?

+1
Alarplasty is alive and well and is a powerful tool in appropriate candidates.

Select a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year, has great reviews, and has great before and after pictures.

Alar Reduction and Scarring

+1
Alar reduction is more commonly done today than ten or twenty years ago. When the right technique is chosen and well done, the scarring is very minimal. The key is to have the right technique done for your type of alar flaring problem.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Is alarplasty a dying trend? (photo)

+1
Alarplasty (alar base reduction) is absolutely not a dying trend.  It depends on the surgeon's experience.  For those of us who deal with patients of different ethnicities, Latino, Black, Middle-Eastern, it is very commonly done.  And the way it is done in our practice, virtually leaves no scarring.  Your doctor may have been referring to the older technique which leaves obvious scars along the outer alar-facial junction.  That definitely is an archaic procedure.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Alarplasty, alar base reduction, and nostril narrowing in rhinoplasty

+1
As other rhinoplasty surgeons have stated, alar plasty or nostril narrowing is not a dying procedure. However, it's not appropriate for all patients considering rhinoplasty. Yes, problematic scarring is a potential risk, but normally a relatively low risk. A comprehensive evaluation in-person is required. Speak with a specialist to help determine appropriate options for you. 

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is Alarplasty a Dying Trend?

+1
This procedure is definitely not a dying trend. There are many different ways to accomplish this depending on the anatomy of  each patient; your risk of scarring will depend on what is done for you. A picture of the base of your nose would help me make suggestions but this rarely a problem.