Am I a Good Candidate for an Alar Batten Graft?

I am consulting with various revisionists. Alar Batten graft was suggested to address NVC. I have always had small nostrils and upon forced inspiration washable to lose my nostrils. I think it more noticeable now that I have a thinner tip. Will the ABG make my nostrils bigger or my nose fuller? Could I run into problems down the road by foregoing the batten graft?

Alar batten grafts

+1

Alar batten grafts or alar rim grafts are both excellent choices for alar rim collapse on forced inspiration.  Alar batten grafts will make the nostrils and nose fuller on the lateral side, while alar rim grafts do not.

Alar battern grafts

+1

Without an exam I have no idea what you would need. In general alar batten grafts help support the weak lower lateral cartilages.  It can help with external valve collapse.

Alar batten graft candidate

+1

Alar batten grafts can help with external nasal valve dynamic collapse. I wouldn't expect the graft to make your nose fuller though if you do have tip pinching the graft can be designed to improve that problem as well.

You can check out my link below to read more about alar batten grafts.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Candidacy for Alar Batten Graft

+1

Hello Melinda75,

It's not possible to know if you are a candidate for an alar batten graft or not without either an exam, or high quality photos. The reason is that all nasal valve collapse problems are not created equal. In fact, it's common for non-experienced rhinoplasty surgeons to treat all noses the same way.

That's why a consultation with a physician who is experienced specifically in revision rhinoplasty is essential. You should start with those board-certified by the american board of facial plastic surgery as those physicians on average tend to have the highest volume of rhinoplasty (and revision rhinoplasty patients). People may argue this point, but the statistics bear this out.

Your surgeon can then pinpoint the precise location of your valve collapse and create a plan that will work for your individual nose. They can tell if it's your internal valve, external valve, or both. To make a long story, short: alar batten grafts are not the only technique available, and you may need one or several types of grafts to get you breathing better.

As for the contour changes that come with grafting, for the most part they actually make the nose look better when held up to the standards of "ideal" nasal shape. For example, many of those with valve problems have deep depressions to the sides of the tip that get worse with inspiration. Augmenting that area with grafts will fill in that depression and make the nose look better.

Michael Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar Batten Graft

+1

An alar batten graft will provide support to the lateral aspect of your tip above the nostril rim. These grafts usually improve the contour of the tip without a significant change in the fullness. If you do not have the graft placed you will continue to have the breathing problems and your appearance will be compromised.