Implant Removal Caused Widening Of Nostrils- Options For Alar Base Reduction? (photo)

I had a small premaxillary implant in for a few weeks and had it removed 6 weeks ago, it has changed the appearance of my nostrils and base of my nose, they are wider and flare. I am looking at ways to correct this. I am going to wait 6 months to see if it improves on its own.

Alar Base Reduction Following Implant Removal

+1

At this time you're doing exactly what is necessary - waiting 6 months for healing to progress. It is unlikely you will need to have an alar base reduction; the area will probably return to its pre op size and shape because the premaxillary implant was only there for 3 weeks.

Implant Removal Caused Widening Of Nostrils- Options For Alar Base Reduction?

+1

IMHO, I do not agree that your nostrils are flared from the photos and they should not be affected by removal of the pre-maxillary implant.  Removal of the implant should just increse the depth of the pre-maxilla and columella.  I'm not sure that you'd require a base reduction as part of a Rhinoplasty however, you should discuss this with your Rhinoplasty Surgeon.

Rhinoplasty for the wide alar base after implant removal.

+1

Rhinoplasty for the wide alar base after implant removal will probably not be needed as it should return to the preoperative look.

Implant

+1

You are smart to wait six months or more. Alar base width is easy to correct but, be dure it is in your best interests

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

How to narrow nostrils

+1
Alar base resection can be easily accomplished in the office for narrowing nostrils and reducing alar flare, if present.

Steve Laverson, MD

+1

Not sure  if the after pictures are after implant removal or not and why one was placed in the first place? Unfortunately, there is no profile view which would indicate if a premaxillary implant was necessary. This implant is used when the nasolabial angle is very acute and less than 90 degrees. The alar base reduction will exaggerate the nasal tip bulbosity and you will need to have tip plasty in order to restore nasal structural harmony. From the limited view of your picture, the alar flarring and widening do not seem exaggerated for your face. The width of your nose should be approximately the same as your eye or 1/5 of the width of your face.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon