How Difficult is an Alar Base Reduction?

I was wondering, how risky is have an alar base reduction done? I've heard the doctor must be very precise to make sure the two nostrils are even, but is this a more difficult procedure than a tip plasty?

Difficulty of alar base reduction

+1

Alar base reduction does need to be performed symmetrically so as to leave the nostrils symmetric. There are always slight imperfections and asymmetries of the nostrils, so two nostrils can never be exactly perfect. The tip plasty is more complicated than the alar base reduction since there are so many other three-dimensional variables on the tip.

Alar base reduction

+1

Alar base reduction is a fairly straightforward procedure that is done as precisely as a formal rhinplasty.  Remember no one is completely symmteric and more than likely your alar are not the same.

Alar Base Reduction

+1

All techniques used in rhinoplasty must be precise, but I agree with Dr. Blinski that alar base reduction is easier than a tip plasty. Do not expect perfect nostril symmetry after surgery; this is difficult to achieve.

Alar base reduction

+1

Alar base reduction does require precision, but this is really true of rhinoplasty in general.  It's not necessarily more difficult than tip surgery.  The main issue is the blood supply to the nose, which must be preserved during both procedures.  As with any surgery, be sure that you see someone experienced in this area.  Best wishes, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Alar base reduction

+1

In expert well trained hands an alar base reduction is an easy operation to preform. Much easier than a tip rhinoplasty.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Narrowing the nostrils is an art

+1

All of rhinoplasty requires an aesthetic eye, steady hands and experience.  Surgery of the nasal tip is certainly one of the most challenging aspects of rhinoplasty but surgery the nostrils still requires great care.  There are a number of different techniques to employ when narrowing the alar base. 

Your surgeon can show you the different locations for the planned incisions and discuss how a narrowed alar base will affect the rest of your nasal appearance.  For instance, narrowing of the alar base can make the tip look more prominent.  In terms of making the nostrils even, measurement is important.  Do remember, however, that absolute perfection is not possible but your surgeon should be dilligent in trying to make them as symmetrical as possible.

Yael Halaas, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar Base Reductions in Rhinoplasty

+1

Alar base reductions are a very useful tool for the flared nasal base,  I use it very sparingly - because it does make a permanent change and leaves an excellent, but actual scar.  90% time I do it under local as a touchup procedure - not at the same time as the rhinoplasty - unless there is no question that it needs to be done.

Richard Greco, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon