Can You Get an Alar Base Reduction then a Rhinoplasty (Implant) on a Later Date? (photo)

Hello thank you for viewing my question. I was wondering if I can get a rhinoplasty after getting an alar base reduction, The thing is I am not sure if I want an implant cause I like my "profile" on the side view. What I really do not like are my alars. They are flaring and obnoxious, makes me look like a man at times. If I get an alar base reduction now is it going to be ok if I consider getting a rhinoplasty implant later? Can my alars be cut into like this in the picture? Thank you in advance

Avoid nasal implants and alar reduction!

+2

In your case like most people, what you are focusing on is 'next to the problem' but not actually the problem.  You simply need improved tip support and your ala will no longer appear wide.  Your tip droops and is pulled down excessively when you smile.  I would recommend a subtle closed rhinoplasty with a columellar strut and small tip graft to give you a nice supratip break and a more aesthetically pleasing nose.  Avoid implants, they are frought with complications!!!  Direct alar reductions always blunt the base of the nose, scar unfavorably and leave an unnatural appearance that worsens with time.  I hope this helps,

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rhinopasty after Alar Base Reduction

+1

You can have a rhinoplasty after an alar base reduction. I understand your dilemma but it would be easier for you if both your procedures were done at the same time.

Alar excision

+1

In general, an alar base reduction can be done before or after rhinoplasty( usually after), but I am not sure that you specifically need it. An exam in person and an evaluation of your goals is essential.

Alar wedge can be done any time

+1

It is possible to do a nice alar excision at any time with a simple local anesthesia. You need to be very careful when you have this done however. Some doctors excise the lateral curve of the nostril with a Weir type of excision, and once you lose the natural curve of the lateral nostril you can never get it back. The final result looks like the ala is just tacked to the face. I see it all the time. It is simple to do correctly if you know what you are doing.

Good luck in the future

John Alexander II, MD

Alar Base Reduction

+1

An alar base reduction can be performed alone and generally will not prevent a future rhinoplasty surgery.  Generally this can be done under local anesthesia with you awake.  Alar base reduction would reduce the wide of your nostrils and prevent the flaring that you see with smiling.  I would strongly reconsider an implant though and consider using tissue from within your own body though.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Can You Get an Alar Base Reduction then a Rhinoplasty (Implant) on a Later Date?

+1

Yes that could be done as seen on the posted photos. But be very careful you can obtain the result you want. 

Isolated alar base reduction

+1

An isolated alar base reduction can work in some situations but typically structural grafting to the columella and alar margins is also needed for the best outcome.  If you like your profile you can certainly avoid the implant

Sam Naficy, MD