Can Alar Base Reduction Be Done on Only One of the Nostrils?

one of my nostrils is wider/flared out than the other, causing an asymmetry look. Due to this reason, I've been contemplating about alar base reduction to correct this very problem. I like the size and the look of my other nostril. I'd like to know if alar base reduction can be performed only on the flared nostril, or does it have to be performed on both nostrils?

Alar base reduction for one nostril

+1

Yes, alar base reduction can be done on asymmetrical nostrils. It can be done on only one nostril or it can be done in asymmetrical amounts to make the nostrils more symmetrical. It can be performed only on the flared nostril without any problems whatsoever.  

Unilateral Alar Base Reduction

+1

Asymmetry is frequently  seen in pre-operative rhinoplasty evaluation. All nasal surgery should be individualized. Unilateral alar base reduction is appropriate and will improve your asymmetry.r

Alar base reduction on only 1 side.

+1

Yes, the wide side can be narrowed under local anesthesia. However, the nostrils may have a slightly different shape. They cannot be made "perfect" but mosre or less the same.

Alar base reduction

+1

Asmmetry is the norm for the most part. Significant asymmetry can be adjusted if this requires an asymmetric base procedure, then that could be done.

Alar Base Reduction

+1

The answer to your question really depends on your anatomy.  If you have one side that is larger than the other, it may be beneficial to perform a unilateral (one sided) alar base resection.   If you post pictures, it would be helpful is giving you advice.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Alar Base Reduction CAN be done on One Side Only

+1
Asymmetry is the rule of nature not an exception. While mild asymmetry is common in the nose, occasionally greater asymmetry is seen, as in your case. While Plastic surgeons try and achieve symmetry, such accomplishment is not always possible. In your case, an alar base reduction could be done on only one side but while this may reduce the nostril asymmetry it is not sure to completely eliminate it. Good Luck.

Alar Base Reductions

+1

Hi,

The short answer is yes it can be done. Typically both nostrils are done to preserve symmetry but it is possible to do only one.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Asymmetric Nostrils, Nothing to Sneeze At

+1

Hi 90210,

Alar base reduction can be performed unilaterally to even out asymmetric nostrils.  The procedure can be performed in the office under local anesthesia without bruising or swelling.  The stitches are removed after about 7 days and then your nose should look like Michelangelo sculpted it.   Be sure to choose your Michelangelo (surgeon) most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. 91436 (P)

Encino, CA

Michael A. Persky, MD

Alar base reduction can be performed on one side

+1

Usually alar base reduction needs to be performed on both sides, but f there is significant assymetry, alar base reduction can be performed on one side.  Remember, alar base reduction is performed for three reasons.  1) Reducing the circumference of the nostril, 2) Bringing in the base of the nose and making it more narrow, and 3) Reducing the flare of the ala - the amount the ala curves out before attaching back to the upper lip.  Hope that helps.

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon