Alar Base Reduction -- How Important is the Doctor?

I realize this is a loaded question... But my sister worked for a plastic surgeon and she said the alar base reduction is rather simple... And I am contemplating if its necessary to go to LA to have the work done, or if a local physician (Minneapolis area) will suffice.

Alar base reduction

+1

An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon in the Minneapolis area should be able to  perform a nice alar plasty for you.  Look for a surgeon both good before and after photos,a keen aesthetic sense and great reviews.The alar plasty procedure can be performed under local anesthesia.

Technical and aesthetic challenge of alar base reduction

+1

In terms of the complexity of the surgical technique itself, it is fairly simple.  The challenge is in the assessment of the patient, design of the incision, and the meticulous execution of the technique with precise wound closure.  A well performed alar base reduction should look natural, with hidden incisions.  The surgeon is critically important to achieving this successful outcome.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Alar Base Reduction

+1

Any procedure may appear straight forward but there are critical decisions that need to take place to ensure the results are what was intended and/or desired.  For alar base reduction, that includes determining the right candidate for the procedure, incision placement, amount of tissue to remove, and surgical technique to minimize any potential scarring.  When you look to have a procedure done, you are paying for the expertise of the surgeon.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can best help you achieve the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

+1

Seeking a Facial Plastic Surgeon experienced with alar base surgery is critical. Alar base reduction itself is straight-forward but determining who is a candidate, where to place the incisions and how much tissue to remove takes good judgement which only comes with experience.

I have seen several patients with severe disfigurement after poorly planned and executed alar base reduction. Fixing these errors is also tremendously difficult.

There is no need to leave Minneapolis to find a highly-qualified rhinoplasty surgeon. We can't advertise colleagues on RealSelf but if you message me I can forward a couple of names to you. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar Base Reduction

+1

Although alar base reduction is technically simple  It is difficult to get an excellent result. An unfavorable scar is difficult to eliminate. You should have the surgery done my an experienced rhinoplasty specialist.

Alar Base Reduction

+1

This is a simple procedure to anyone watching the procedure, but there are some aesthetic judgements made with regard to nostril shape and symmetry.  In addition, alar base reduction usually changes the relative appearance of the tip, and the tip may need to be addressed as well.   Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Alar base reduction

+1

An alar base reduction can be done easily in qualified hands.  There are many in Minneaoplis. You can start by looking at the ASAPS and ASPS websites.

No two surgeons are the same

+1

No two surgeons will give you the exact same result.  The problem with alar base reductions is that the scar can be visible when poorly done.  Make sure the doctor does these regularly and that you see photos.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS