Alar Base Reduction and Tip Plasty?

Basically, I know that I definitely don't want any bridge work but I do want an alar base reduction as I have a very wide nose. However, I'm not 100% sure I would like a tip plasty. I'm pretty sure that my only problem is with the width of my nose & I'm fine with the rounded tip. I want a minimum amount of surgery. Could I have an alar base reduction and then get a tip plasty later on if I felt like I needed it? Or would it be ridiculous to split what could be one surgery into two?

Get a couple of rhinoplasty consultations.

+2

Hi.

You really need expert advice based on detailed examination of your nose.  Don't try to micromanage the operation, because it takes a lot of experience to predict the outcome of a particular step (such as tip plasty).

Alar Base Reduction & Tipplasty

+2

Many thanks for the question.I would have preferred to see images of your nose .However without formal examination and images only thing I can suggest that there are situations when I combine both surgeries in one and I dont give any external scar even for alarplasty. In patients with thick sebaceous skin type I never perform them together since one may loose blood supply to the tip of nose to dangerous levels if a good job needs to be done on both these areas.

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Alar Base Reduction and Tip Plasty?

+2

Yes, technically you could have an alar base reduction without thinning the nasal tip and always have a Tipl-plasty performed later.  IMHO, you should never do more surgery than you're certain you want.

Alar Base Reduction & Tipplasty

+2

You could certainly start off with the alar base reduction and have the tip work done at a separate time because the alar base reduction can be done under local anesthesia.  I would recommend that you consult with a board certified specialist who could show you with computer morphing how you would look with a narrower nose +/- tip work and who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Alar base reduction and then tip

+2

An alar base reduction can be done before or after tip rhinoplasty. I will often do it at the end of the operation and sometimes I find I do not need to do one. Best to be seen in person.

Rhinoplasty

+2

Dear MUB,

Without pictures I can't provide any definitive suggestions.  The two procedures can be separated, but it is up to you.  That will certainly result in duplicated costs to you.  You should realize that with an alar base reduction, your tip projection and appearance will change and could appear more rounded.  Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Alar base reduction and tip plasty

+1

An alar base reduction can certainly be done under a local anesthesia and a tip plasty can be done later on if the patient so desires.  It is always best to be conservative. Have 2 or 3 consultations to give you an idea of what is possible.

Alar Reduction and Tip Reduction

+1

Here is how to determine this one.  Get a board certified plastic surgeon of your choosing to perform the alar reduction under local anesthetic.  Get a mirror after this is done and determine if you want your tip reduced.  This can be done the same day.