Alar Base Shaved Down Too Much

I am 3weeks post op..and hate my nose,I am of Pakistani origin..my main concern was the assemtry of my nose.one nostril bigger than other, I voiced my concerns to the surgeon that I only want a.subtle Change and not a huge transformation..did not want alar base done. But she said she could do it without doin alarbase.the bridge of my nose was perfectly straight no humps or bumps.but  She has shaven this and now looks like I have no bridge..my nostrils look pinched.I don't want surgery again! What can I Do?

Don't like rhinoplasty results 3 weeks postop

+2

Any revisions in rhinoplasty surgery should usually wait for 6 months to a year, so patients must be patient.

Judging from your degree of concern so early after your surgery, this is going to be a long six months for both you and your doctor.

Considering Revision Rhinoplasty only 3 weeks after Surgery

+2

Hi anon4775,

Three weeks is still very early after rhinoplasty to make any  long-term judgments. A majority of swelling is still present.

Revision cosmetic surgery can happen with any facial cosmetic procedure, from rhinoplasty to face lift surgery. Revision procedures can vary from minor to major, and can occur at any time following the initial procedure.

For rhinoplasty, plastic surgeons and rhinoplasty specialists generally wait at least one year, or longer, before considering revision surgery. The final shape and position of the nose occurs much later after rhinoplasty. The nose continues to "settle" and is considered a moving target during this initial period of healing. Revision nasal surgery prematurely or too soon may disturb the natural scar tissue, skin, bone, or cartilage healing, so you may end up with a less optimal result. Revision surgery is more successful when the nose has completed a majority of its healing, which is typically one year at its earliest.

Exceptions are always made in specific instances. Minor procedures within the year may be performed in the office to help the nose heal and achieve the desired result.

Speak with your rhinoplasty surgeon about these and any concerns you have. Only after a comprehensive evaluation by a rhinoplasty surgeon can he/she determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Results

+1

Initially you should consult with your surgeon to explore your options. If you are not satisfied, it would probably be helpful to seek a second opinion.

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Multiple Concerns 3 Weeks after Rhinoplasty

+1

It is too soon to predict your ultimate result. Despite your multiple concerns, nothing can be done at this time. Wait 6-9 months before deciding what, if anything, you don't like and then consider treatment alternatives with an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon.

Rhinoplasty - 3 weeks out

+1

3 weeks is too soon to tell what your final nasal shape will be.  I'd advise you to be patient. It will take a few months before you will see the final result. If you have any concerns, you should definitely talk to your rhinoplasty surgeon. I'm sure he or she will be happy to discuss with you any questions you may have.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Rhinoplasty SurgeryTakes At Least Six Months to See The Final Shape

+1

While it is discouraging for you to have an early dislike for your rhinoplasty results, it is far too early to judge the final outcome. You undoubtably still have a fair amount of swelling, particularly when considering your ethnicity and probable thicker skin on your nose. The swelling will cause distortions in how things look so what doesn't look good to now may turn out much better with time. A critical assessment of your rhinoplasty results are best done at 6 months. Patience is the key for now. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Three weeks post surgery

+1

Being that you are only three weeks post surgery, you have to give it time to settle down. This may take up to a year.

Alar Base Shaved Down Too Much

+1

Dear Anon:

3 wks from rhinoplasty is very soon to evaluate your final result. However, if your bridge is too low mosy likely it will not improve with time.

As for correction, surgery is your really only long term option. You may not be ready psychologically to accept this, and 3 wks is too premature to do any surgical repair. \

Make sure you follow up closely with your surgeon and that  he/she understands your concerns.

Michel Siegel, MD

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correction of alar rim collapse

+1

The correction for pinched alar rims is placement of alar rim contour grafts. This maneuver will not only improve the appearance of your alar rims but also provide you functional improvement in this area often termed the external nasal valve.

Arian Mowlavi, MD
Laguna Beach Plastic Surgeon

Alar Base Shaved Down Too Much

+1

You forgot to post a photo! So how can any of us address your issues? Seek in person second opinions. You may be a candidate for injection rhinoplasty, since you refuse additional surgery. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski