Is This Rash Type Redness Around my Incisions Normal? (photo)

I had a breast lift and implants on November 8th. The surgical tape covering my incisions came off about 3 days ago and now I have this redness that is very sensitive to the touch. Is this normal? I'm wondering if it could be from my sports bra irritating my skin? It was not this red when the tape first came off. I have my follow up with my PS next week, but I just wanted to see if there was anything I could do about this on my own and make sure it's nothing crazy. Thanks!

Allergic Reaction after Breast Augmentation

+1

An allergic reaction after breast augmentation and lift may be due to adhesive, tape, steristrips, the garment, antibiotic ointment, or any number of things.  If there is no infection, oral or topical steroids can be offered.

Rash

+1

You appear to have a topical reaction to the sutures, steristrips and or glue/adhesive that was used. This should clear up and may need some steroid ointments. See your surgeon 

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Red ness post lift/aug

+1

This irritat on could be due to suture reaction which should pass in time or from skin tape.As long as there is no fever or drainage soem cortisone cream around the irritated area should get it to clear up.i

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Irritation from surgical tape

+1

You appear to have something irritating your skin around the incisions. It is very common for the surgical tape to do this. It is important however, to make sure this is not something else. If you are using any creams or ointments on the incisions, I would stop them immediately to make sure that you are not having an allergic reaction to something. Most importantly, we have to make sure you don't have a small infection starting. Signs of an infection would include increased warmth to your skin in the area, fevers, chills, funny discharge, etc.. If you are having any of these, call your surgeon immediately. Provided that you are not having any of these, this is likely irritation from the tape or an allergic reaction and should improve with time. Best of luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Symmetrical Redness usually allergic reaction.

+1

Hello and thanks for the question and photo.

You appear to have allergic reaction to something.  Most likely delayed from the tape.  Since it appears to be the same on both breasts, more likely allergic reaction than infection.

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tape Irritation After Breast Augmentation

+1

This may be from your bra but it looks like this may be irritation from your surgical tape.  Follow up with your PS is the next best move.

Dr.ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Is This Rash Type Redness Around my Incisions Normal?

+1

Posted photos appears as an allergic reaction, but it could be cellulitis also. Best to be seen ASAP IN PERSON by your surgeon for evaluation and treatment. 

Redness around areola

+1

It certainly looks more like a contact dermatitis most likely from the tape.  You should really see your surgeon to be properly evaluated.  Good luck.

Redness of the peri-areolar area after a breast lift surgery

+1

Your redness around your areolar area appears to be a contact dermatitis due to the surgical tape.  If this does not get better over a few days time then you should contact your plastic surgeon.  Redness can also be a sign of infection but from your photos it appears to be related to the tape.  Occasionally steroid cream or oral steroids may be needed to help it resolve.   

Dermatitis

+1

Because of the pattern, I would guess you reacted to the tape/adhesive. Sometimes we use mastisol or benzoin to make the tape stick, and you could be reacting to that.If it does not resolve within 48 hours, or if it gets worse, you should call your surgeon. He may tell you to use a steroid cream.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon