Bump on Side of Nose Bridge 10 Months out from Rhinoplasty?

I broke my nose really bad in a collision where the top of the girl's head pushed my nose to the left playing basketball. Last December I had rhinoplasty & septoplasty. I have a bump about half way up my nose on the right side that has been there since the cast was taken off. It is barely noticeable and easily felt if touched. When I asked my surgeon about it she said she had to put a graft in that area because that side had collapsed inward. I am worried it will become more visible with time.

Bump on nose

+1

A residual bump on the nose sometimes can be filed down. If it is graft material as you suggest than it has to be trimmed sharply.  Usually some irregularities are palpable but as long as they are not visible you are probably "good to go."

Contour Abnormality on Side of Nose Following Rhinoplasty

+1

It is not unusual to be able to feel an irregular contour where cartilage grafting was performed during rhinoplasty surgery. In a good number of cases, the cartilage grafting might be felt (called palpable), but is not readily seen. In this case, I would advise my patient to leave the area alone. If there is an abnormal shadow that can be seen as a result of the graft, there are minor office-based procedures that can be done to help reduce the prominence. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Minor bump after rhinoplasty

+1

It's not uncommon to feel some bump or irregularities after rhinoplasty/septoplasty, especially if your surgeon has placed a graft to cover the depressed area. If the graft is your own cartilage and the bump is visible then it's fairly easy to correct by shaving the bump down to smooth it out. This is a minor revision and may even be performed in office. Your concern regarding the bump becoming more visible with time is valid. If it does become more visible then the revision is indicated.

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Bumps after rhinoplasty

+1
It is very common to feel some bumps or irregular areas after rhinoplasty, and yes, if we cannot see them they are not a problem. You are right in that over many years, as the skin thins, something just might show through, but you have many years to wait.

Rhinoplasty before and after

+1

Dear cetbball,

• If it is a depression in the skin then it can easily be filled with a filler like Restylane, Juvederm, Silikon-1000, etc
  • If it is a bump, sometimes adding a little filler around the bump will hide it
  • The other option is to take the bump down, but that would require a minor procedure
  • Try seeking out a second opinion to see what they say

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD