Do they make high profile saline implants in different diameters ?

I was told this type would achieve what I wanted. But the sample seemed to have a small diameter and I wasn't sure if it would provide fullness all around like I was looking for. I was feeling it might not provide fullness on the side and top portion and just stick out due to the projection it has.

Do they make high profile implants in different diameters?

+2
Hello!  Thank you for your question!   As you increase in size, the base width of the implant will also increase. 

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, lift, etc). I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width.

Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Profile and diameter

+2
Yes. Each manufacturer will have different profile / projection in relation to diameter. The choice of implant should be judged by your breast width and the projection altered according to the size, what you are trying to achieve and the amount of skin elasticity you have. One can sometimes go 0.5-1cm wider in diameter to increase size but there are pros and cons of this. Get a second opinion if you have reservations - especially if you are only being offered the choice of one manufacturers implants.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

High profile saline implants

+2
Good question.  The answer is yes, high profile saline implants come in many different sizes.  Both companies (Allergan and Mentor)  make  saline implants in 3 styles.  They call them by different names but basically they are LOW, MEDIUM or HIGH profile.  So, within each company, there are three different 300cc saline implants to choose from. For instance, Mentor calls them Moderate, Moderate Plus and High Profile.  If you put the 3 implants next to each other on a table and filled them all with 300cc of saline they would look very different.  The Moderate Profile implant would be widest and flattest, the High Profile implant would be narrowest and tallest (or most projecting) and the Moderate Plus implant would be midway between the other two.  So, all 3 have 300 cc but the "footprint" of the implant is different.  The best choice for you depends on the natural shape, width and height of your breast tissue. High profile implants are a good option for women with a narrow chest who want fairly large augmentation.

Mary Gingrass, MD

High profile saline implants

+2
To answer your question, yes, both of the manufacturers of saline implants in the US have different profiles for their saline implants.

However, I'm not sure you really understand what high profile implants are all about.  The whole point of a high profile implant is that the diameter is narrower and the projection greater than the same size of a lower profile implant.  I often have patients come to my office who think that "High Profile" means "fuller and rounder", where the opposite is true.  High Profile implants stick out from your body more ("pointier") and do not extend to the sides, to the middle, or to the top, as much as the same size moderate or lower profile implant.

If you want the projection of a high profile implant, but want it to provide more fullness to the sides and top, you might actually need a moderate or lower profile implant that is just larger.

Of course, using too large an implant is also a problem, so be sure you discuss this throughly with your surgeon, and that you completely understand all of the different choices before making a decision for surgery.  If you had trouble getting the answers you need, you might consider seeing another surgeon or two.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

James Nachbar, MD

+2
All of the breast implant dimensions can be accessed on their website. Personally, I prefer Natrelle Silicone gel implants over saline. 

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD

Implant base widths

+2
All implant types come in a variety of base widths.  So yes, high profile saline implants do come in different diameters.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

High profile implants

+2
Every implant profile type has different diameter base widths. So, yes, they do make high profile implants with different diameters. But in order to have a bigger diameter, you need to have a larger sized implant. The smaller the implant, the more narrow the base width. Most patients do not need a high profile implant profile unless they have a very narrow chest wall. You can probably achieve your desired size and projection with the right size or a moderate or moderate plus profile implant, unless your chest wall is very narrow.

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Profiles

+2
I have this discussion with all of my breast augmentation consultations.  For every given volume of implant Mentor and I think Allergan make low, moderate, high and ultra high profile implants.  The low profile implant will have the widest base diameter and the least projection.  I like these for patients that have lost upper pole fullness.  This is the top of the breast below the collar bone. 

On the other end of the spectrum ultra high profile implants will have a tremendous amount of projection with a narrow base diameter.  This results in very projected breasts!  In my practice I have found that some young women like this look.

Most patient will tend to fall into the moderate profile.  But, this is something that you need to discuss with your surgeon and really understand before you choose the implants.  You should try on the implants to see what the results will look like.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Right implant

+1
The high profile implants all have smaller diameters in proportion to their volume.
Why? They are designed to fit more implant into a smaller chest.
You can have a round implant but it might not be as large as you want.
Return to your plastic surgeon to review the decision of a high profile vs a round, moderate profile implant. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

High profile implants to have different base width

+1
Yes you can achieve a wider base width with a high profile implant but you will have to go larger in size.  If you really want medial and lateral fullness than a moderate profile plus might be a better option.  Please discuss this in detail with your plastic surgeon.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS