Why is my breast revision going to cost from 14,000 - 17,000?

I know I live in one of the higher cost of living states ( Hawaii ) But I was shocked at the quotes for a revision !! This is double what an original BA cost here. Why so much ? Is it just my procedure or is this the norm ? ( bottom out breast, one side needs a lift, exchange implants, repair CC on one side. Repair oversized pocket on other side. Raise fold on one side .

Costs vary from surgeon to surgeon and region to region...

+3
and the fees are not out of line.  However, some doctors do charge for everything they can, such as removal of your implant on top of a capsulectomy (which removes your implant anyway).  If you're flabbergasted, best to get a second opinion to see if all of those procedures are needed and to see if the costs vary significantly with other surgeons.  When my patients are faced with revisions, there is always a discount provided to them and most surgeons offer this to their patients.  Some surgeons like to say 'you get what you pay for' but if you can find a better deal, it would be foolish to pay more than you have to.

Breast revision

+2
Unfortunately, you have not provided any photographs but the most I charge for breast revision is $11,500.That includes exchanging implants for new ones and a simultaneous lift to correct asymmetries of shape, size or position.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast revision surgery

+2
Breast revision surgery is always harder than original surgery.  This will certainly add costs.  Also, not all plastic surgeons are qualified to perform reconstruction as it is more difficult.  Double the price does seem high though.  Part of it may be that your surgeon is going to use a product such as Alloderm or Allomax to hold the implant in a better position.  The product itself is many thousands of dollars.  I would speak to your surgeon about the costs and consider an opinion of a second plastic surgeon skilled in breast cosmetic AND reconstructive surgery.
Dr Rodger Shortt
Oakville Plastic Surgeon

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Revision

+2
Clearly prices vary from state to state and fixing a problem is by definition more difficult, more time consuming and may require more expensive materials then with the first procedure.  Go on other consults though and compare pricing

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Cost of breast revision

+2
Thank you for your question. From the list of things that you are going to have done I would expect it to cost a lot more than the original BA.  Your revision is much more difficult than a first time BA and will take longer so operating room and anesthesia costs will be higher.  If your surgeon did not do the original surgery then I doubt that you are getting an break in his fee which would also be more than for a BA.  Finally, if your surgeon plans to use Strattice to reinforce the pocket repair then that piece alone would cost almost $3000.00. 

Lars Enevoldsen, MD
Modesto Plastic Surgeon

+2

When it comes to costs associated with revision breast surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure ( quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider,  type of breast implants utilized, and the cost of additional material ( such as acellular dermal matrix)… are some of the potential variables involved.

In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery,  and specifically revisionary breast surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Again, I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery; keep in mind that  additional revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways.  You may find the attached link, dedicated to revisionary breast surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Cost for breast revision surgery

+1
Really need to know what materials your surgeon is planning on using but a good deal of the cost is OR time, implants, ADM and anesthesia costs.  These are all costs that are out of the surgeons control.  This type of surgery is much more extensive than your original surgery.   

+1
There is no "Norm" as breast revision can mean many different things. Costs vary greatly from area to area so perhaps you should consider surgery elsewhere if you have family or friends to stay with for a week or two postop, but then if you have complications you will need to travel even more and that can get expensive in itself.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD