Is a lollipop incision better than a round areola incision alone ?

Hi, I have two opinions and am confused, I need a lift , a revision around a previous areola incision along with exchanging saline implants for silicone. One surgeon wants to do it with lollypop and other just using circular areola scar. Which will give me better results and shape in my breast ?

As a lollipop breast lift a better than and a periareolar breast lift.

+2
Photographs would be very helpful.  However generally speaking if you need a significant lift of your breasts a lollipop is going to be a more effective lift then the periareolar.  However if you have minimal breast sagging a periareolar areola lift may be adequate.  You need to discuss these details completely with your plastic surgeon at head of surgery.

For more information on combination breast augmentation and lift please read the following link:

Which breast lift is best?

+2
The type of breast lift incision to be used depends on the shape that needs to be obtained.  You must trust the judgment and surgical expertise of the particular plastic surgeon that you choose. 

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Lollipop or donut?

+2
Dear Blutee,
For us to give you advice on this issue, we would need to see photos of your current situation.  consider reposting with these. In general if you have widened areola's then a redo of the areola incision alone will also likely cause widened areolas, where a lollipop would give you smaller areolas. Also, a bigger lift is possible with the lollipop type incision.
Best Wishes, 
PAblo PRichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Lollipop or circumareolar approach

+2
I find that the circumareolar approach tends to produce a more boxy look to the breast with less projection. Think of what happens to a purse that has the string at the opening that you cinch down to close the purse, it flattens the shape of the purse. The same thing happens in a circumareolar breast lift. I think the lollipop will give a better shape overall to the breast with less flattening.

Julio Garcia, MD

Lollipop vs circumareola incision

+2
It depend upon the severity of the ptosis. If you have good skin tone but the nipple is a bit low, then you might be a candidate for a circumareola. If you have a lot of loose skin especially in the lower pole, then a lollipop or inverted "T" may be more appropriate.

Is a lollipop incision better than a round areola incision alone?

+2
Thank you for your question! It is normal for the breast to lose its firmness and perkiness over time, which is accentuated with age, pregnancy/breast feeding, weight gain/loss, and gravity. This ultimately results in ptosis, or sagging, of the breast with a “deflated” appearance. Women often seek the mastopexy, or breast lift, procedure to regain the previous youthful appearance of her breasts and desire that uplifted and perky appearance of her breasts. Women report increased confidence, self-esteem, and femininity once she achieves this desired shape and fullness. It is also common for the areola to enlarge and stretch during these changes. The lift will also serve to raise the nipple areolar complex to its appropriate position above the breast crease and at the most projecting portion. In addition the areola size will be decreased, which is often desired by the woman.  Without an examination, it is difficult to give recommendations. Given your description it sounds as if a lollipop incision, will likely be needed to give optimal shape.  I wouldn't sacrifice shape for incisions to achieve the best result. This vertical component removed excess laxity of the inferior pole, which often occurs with age, weight loss, pregnancy, etc. 

Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon well-versed in breast surgery and s/he will assist you in deciding if a mastopexy will be the right decision for you.  Thank you for your question! Hope that this helps. Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Best breast lift procedure question

+2
Obviously, the two surgeons who examined you are in the best position to offer advice.  The goal of a breast lift is to 1. elevate the nipple to a higher location and 2. tighten up the skin under the breast to create a perkier shape to the breast.  There are several procedures used to accomplish this.  The correct one for you depends on what you are starting with.  Only an examining doctor can tell you which one of these procedures would work best in his/her hands.  That said, the peri-areolar (aka, donut or Benelli) breast lift is very limited in its usefulness.  It will elevate the nipple/areola a centimeter or two but it does nothing to tighten up the skin under the breast.  I find that this approach is most useful when done in conjunction with a breast implant. 

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Which type of lift is best

+2
This will depend on how much laxity/droopiness that is present, what size implants you are planning to have placed, or in other words, how much of the tissue laxity will the larger implants take up.  This is best determined by physical exam.  Perhaps a third consult with an American Board of Plastic Surgery certified surgeon will settle this for you.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Circumvertical vs periareolar lift

+2
The answer to your question depending on your current degree of sagging and the quality and amount of your breast skin.   Impossible to make recommendations without a physical exam.  Remember, with breast lift surgery - you have to accept scar to achieve better form.  A periareolar lift will only lift the breast 1-2 cm.   A circumvertical lift (lollipop) will lift 2-4 cm depending on the weight of your tissue and your anatomy.

Please visit with a board certified PS to learn more about your options.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS