Is Air Inside Silicone Implant Normal?

I had my surgery about 9 years ago silicone implants over the muscle. I routinely do the breast self exam, last week I found what feels like a bubble, when laying down I can feel it under my nipple and standing up I moves further up my breast. Is that normal? is it time to replace them? And by the way I feel no discomfort or pain at all

Bubble post aug

This may just be a fold in the implant and that can occur very commonly.Massaging it may help it go away.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

3700 Central Avenue
Fort Myers, FL 33901

Bubble in the breast.

This "bubble" that you feel should be evaluated by your plastic surgeon. It is likely not "air" but may certainly be related to the implant or a rupture of the implant. The change in your breast exam certainly warrants further investigation.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

660 Glades Road
Boca Raton, FL 33431

Does Feeling A Breast Bubble Mean My Silicone Implant Has Ruptured?

The bubble that feel is most certainly not air. Until proven otherwise, you should assume that you may have developed a ruptured silicone breast implant. You should be evaluated by a screening mammogram and a physical evaluation by your implanting surgeon to rule out a loss of integrity of the implant shell.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Indiana University Health North Hospital
Carmel, IN 46032

Noises and bubbles in breast implants

Needless to say, this is not normal.  You'll need a proper clinical exam but in general, noises and bubbles in implants suggests a ruptured implant and the tightening suggests contracture but I'd be guessing.  Something is going on with it...

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

9101 N. Central Expressway
Dallas, TX 75231

Palpable Abnormality in Subglandular Silicone Gel Breast Implant

Your question is difficult to answer without being able to examine the breast. It certainly is not a bubble of air. However, it could represent a fold or buckle in the implant shell, or possibly a collection of leaking silicone gel. It is probably relatively fixed in its location, but appears to move as your breast slides over the anterior surface of the implant when you change position.

Capsular contracture is more common with subglandular implants than subpectoral implants. As the capsule contracts it causes the implant shell to fold. These wrinkles and folds in the implant shell can often be palpated through the breast.

Please seek an evaluation by a plastic surgeon to discuss this further. If there are concerns about the integrity of the implant shell, an MRI may be indicated. Just because your implants are nine years old is not an indication by itself to warrant implant replacement. If you have other problems or require surgery for another reason (such as capsular contracture) then you should discuss the possibility of implant replacement, and perhaps consider a site change to the subpectoral position.

Best wishes, Kenneth Dembny.

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

201 N. Mayfair Rd.
Wauwatosa, WI 53226

Bubble of implants?

Feeling a bubble move with silicone implants warrants an exam.  Have you had the implants evaluated?  Maybe there is a leak?

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028