Air Bubble with a 9 Yr Old Implant Common?

I have had my implants for about 9 years now and have notice a little soarness on the outter bottom left side of one of my breasts. It feels like it is bruised. I only notice it at bed time (I am a side sleeper and usually sleep on that side). When I touch the area I feel air like bubbles. Just a little thrown off because of the light bruised-like feeling I have when I touch it and because I have read that air bubbles are only common right after surgery.

Implant folds and possible ruptures.

+1

The feeling of "air bubbles" at 9 years most likely indicates either a normal fold of the implant or a possible rupture. If the implants are saline, a rupture is obvious as the breast deflates. Thus, with saline implants this usually indicates a thinning of the soft tissue surrounding the implant (of which, the most common area is the lower, outer portion of the breast). For silicone implants, it is worth while to rule out a rupture of the implants with an MRI if there are palpable changes in the feel of the implant.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Implant issue

+1

Without an exam, it is hard to tell what this "air bubble" is.  It may be the implant itself that you are feeling.

9 year old implant evaluation

+1

You are likely feeling the shell of the implant under the skin.  It would be beneficial to obtain an MRI to ensure the implant shell is intact due to the bruising and possiblity of implant rupture.  F/U with a plastic surgeon locally to address the issue. 

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Bubble associated with 9 year old breast implant

+1

If your breast implants have been in for 9 years the bubble you are feeling probably is not from an air pocket.  The breast tissue over your implant may have gotten thinner over time.  This situation may or may not warrant surgery.  I would suggest you see a local board certified plastic surgeon (preferably the surgeon who performed your previous surgery) to better evaluate your implants.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon