9 Years Post-BA, One Breast Has Shrunk. What Is Going On?

I had implants about 9 years ago. I have now noticed one breast has become slightly smaller, is there a leak or something to worry about. I have no pain or redness nothing at all although have developed rashes down my arms, and legs that look like allergic rashes could this have something to do with the implants?

Saline or Gel Implants

+1

Do you have saline breast implants?  If you do you may have a spontaneous deflation which is not an emergency. If this is the case then the implant will go flat in a week or two. If you have gel implants, it might be more difficult to tell. How old are you and have you had a mammogram. I would urge you to see a plastic surgeon to examine you and determine the cause of your loss of volume.

Implant changes

+1

If your breast has shrunk and is noticeably different than the other side, perhaps your implant has ruptured?  This should be evaluated.

Shrinking Breast Implants

+1

Although you did not state whether you have saline or silicone implants, the most logical explanation for your observation (one breast slightly smaller) is a partial leak in a saline implant.  Saline implants more commonly totally deflate when a defect develops, but we do occasionally see a partial deflation.  Silicone implants, on the other hand, typically do not present a noticeable change in the size of the breast if they develop a tear since the silicone usually remains within the capsule around the implant.  When saline leaks out it is usually resorbed by the body.

John Whitt, MD

Shrunken Breast Nine Years After Breast Augmentation

+1

Dear lucky lady,

A change in the size, shape, or feel of your breasts after breast augmentation could be a sign of breast implant migration, breast implant rupture, capsular contracture, or other disease process. See your plastic surgeon for an evaluation. A mammogram, ultrasound, MRI, or other tests might be necessary.

Warmest wishes,

Dr. Fan

Larry Fan, MD

Implant asymmetry

+1

I would see a board certified plastic surgeon.  You may also consider a mammogram to help see what is going on.  If your implants change in size, shape or feel it can indicate that something is wrong such as a leak.  If they are saline then it would probably continue to shrink.  If they are silicone then you may have a rupture within the capsule (the scar tissue surrounding your implant).  Good luck!

Tiffany McCormack, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Deflation?

+1

It is very difficult to say what is going on without examining you in person.  I would suggest going to your surgeon - a good clinician will tell you what is going on after they examine you.  I would guess that probably the rash doesn't have to do with this... BUT without seeing you, it's hard to say FOR SURE.