Can You Get Agressive Liposuction on Your Flanks and Upper and Lower Back with a Tummy Tuck?

ive heard that it isnt good to get lipo with a tummy tuck? but then some say just the flanks but ive also seen MANY before and after photos where there isnt a nice shape to these women with the tummy tuck =( they kinda look like a square? **dr. mendieta so far has done exquisite work with his tummy tuck pts

Abdominoplasty and liposuction

+1

Timing and planning of multiple surgical procedures is a common question and patient concern.  Combining an abdominoplasty and extensive liposuction of the flanks, upper back and hips is possible.    There is a slightly higher risk of complications with this combination.  The main surgical concern is avoiding injury to the blood supply to the lower abdomen.  Also the amount of fat aspirated should be less then 5 liters to be in a safe zone.  As long as you are in good physical health and have no overriding medical conditions you should be a good candidate. With this combination the highest priority has to be safety and the prevention of DVT and PE.

Tummy tuck with aggressive liposuction

+1

There are as many answers to this question as there are plastic surgeons performing these procedures.  In my practice, most abdominoplasties undergo some form of upper and lower abdominal liposuction during the procedure.  This assists mobilization of the skin and allows a greater degree of sculpting to the final result.  However, the method used must respect the blood supply and underlying health status of the patient to help guard against post-operative wound healing problems.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction with tummy tuck

+1

I agree with the previous responders that liposuction can be done with tummy tucks in combination as long as the circulation of the anterior abdomenal flap is respected.  The flanks and back are excellent candidates for lipo, but the expected swelling of the elevated anterior flap is aggravated with liposuction here and may risk postoperative problems.  Do obtain consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who puts your safety first.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

Liposuction can be safely combined with a tummy tuck, but I am careful to choose the areas to safely complement the result.  With a tummy tuck, the abdominal skin and fat are lifted as a flap from the bottom below the belly button towards the top at the rib margin.  The important blood supply for the flap comes from the top and the upper sides of the abdomen.  As long as the lipo covers the hips, back and or flanks towards the back, I think that is fine.  I personally avoid lipo on the front sides of the flanks so as not to injure the blood supply that is important for healing.  I hope this information is helpful.

Suction of the flanks and back commonly accompany a tummy tuck.

+1

Suctioning of the flanks and back is commonly done with an abdominoplasty.  I do not suction the anterior abdomen fearing too much trauma might compromise the integrity of the skin.  Seldom do patients need this suctioned later.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,21-atlanta-abdominoplast.htm

Liposuction during Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

Although it is not possible to give you specific advice without direct examination and a full communication of your goals, it is generally safe to do some amount of liposuction of the flanks during tummy tuck surgery.  Sometimes,  depending on a specific patient's anatomy and goals it is necessary to remove excess skin/adipose tissue directly ( in addition to liposuction surgery)  in the flank areas.  This operation may  being referred to as an extended tummy talk or belt lipectomy. 

Be careful to communicate your goals clearly with your plastic surgeon;  correct treatment of the flank area is necessary to avoid the presence of a “muffin top”.  This area is of concern to some patients even after having undergone  standard tummy tuck surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_tummyTuck.htm

Tummy tuck is often combined with liposuction on back and flanks

+1

It is safe to do needed liposuction ( not aggressive) on flanks and back at same time as tummy tuck.