Can Aggressive Deprojection of a Nasal Tip Result in Changed Airflow Patterns?

It has been a few years after my rhinoplasty/Inf. submucosal turbinate reduction and begun to experience breathing difficulties over the years.I have seen many ENT's which say the turbinates look to be in good shape.However I am still experiencing dry nose and major change in air flow dynamics.I was wondering if the tip deprojection part of the rhinoplasty could have displaced the inferior turbinate in relation to the nasal valve thus causing a change in airfow. If so, how could this be fixed?

Reducing Nose and Airway

+1

Interesting question you pose. However, the turbinates and nasal tip are not related in that way. More likely, you may have had external nasal valve changes if the tip was severely reduced without strengthening the valve at the same time. After a physical exam, I would know more. You should see several surgeons and you can do a virtual consult with a rhinoplasty expert who may be able to make a very educated guess on if your external anatomical changes may have affected your airway.

Good Luck

Dr Ghavami

Rhinoplasty and changed airflow patterns

+1

Expert nasal surgeons do not compromise nasal breathing while performing rhinoplasty and are attuned to improving not only the aesthetics (looks) of the nose but its function i.e. breathing.  However,  overreduction of nasal structure by some surgeons in an effort  to give patients "as small a nose as possible" in rhinoplasty  can lead to reduced airflow.  Sometimes compromise of nasal breathing occurs months or even years after rhinoplasty.  Narrowing of the internal nasal valves is usually the culprit in most cases and this situation can be reversed with revision  rhinoplasty and improved support of weakened nasal valves.   

James C. Marotta, MD
Long Island Facial Plastic Surgeon

Breathing Problems Secondary to Deprojection of Nasal Tip

+1

Deprojection of the nasal tip would not displace the inferior turbinates. You describe changes in nasal breathing following your rhinoplasty but the cause of your problems and the coarse of treatmentq can only be determined with a careful physical examination.

Reducing tip projection and breathing

+1

Actually reduction of the tip projection is not that likely to impact the airflow. The key spots are the support of the nostril or external valve, the internal valve just above the tip, and the turbinates which have a key roll in adjusting the airflow. Nasal dryness will cause the turbinate to swell and 'rest'  the nose by reducing airflow.

Best of luck, Peter Johnson, MD