Age 15 with 34GG Breast. Can I Have a Breast Reduction?

I am aged 15 with 34 GG breast.It gives me very bad back pain and stops me from taking part in sports and keeping fit. I also feel really self conscious,Its also really hard to find bras that fit well.Would i be able to have a breast reduction ?

Breast Reduction at Age of 15?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the physical and psychosocial problems your disproportionately large breasts are causing you. 
It is probable that you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for your frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.
In my practice, timing of breast reduction surgery is determined on a case-by-case basis. It is not too early to do your homework and learn as much as possible  about  breast reduction surgery and the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Hopefully you have the support of your parents as you do your homework.
Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).
On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).
Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.
 When the time is right,  seek consultation with well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Breast Reductions for Teenagers

+1

If your primary care physician provides documentation and treatment of your symptoms arising from you breast hypertrophy, you should be able to have insurance pay for breast reduction surgery. Your growth in both stature and breast size should be stable. If your parents agree with your concerns, then you could be evaluated by a plastic surgeon for surgical treatment. Your surgeon will go over the pros and cons of having breast reduction surgery at a young age.

Thank you for your question and best of luck!

Gregory C. Park, M.D.

Gregory Park, MD

Hello

+1

If your parents are supporting you in getting a breast reduction it can definitely be done. You need to see your primary doctor and let them know how you’re in discomfort and pain and your insurance can pay for it. If you don’t want to go through your Insurance you need to see a Plastic surgeon with your parent to do the surgery

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS