At What Age Do Varicose Veins Occur?

I dont excersise much and im young but can you get them at ny age or only at 40 or 50?

Age of onset of varicose veins and treatment of varicose veins

+2

Varicose veins can occur at any age, but usually begin in the mid twenties and begin to progress. 

Any age.

+1

Varicose veins can occur from many causes but the underlying problem is malfunctioning of the valves in feeding veins to the varicosities.  I have seen patients with varicose veins as young as 9 years old and as old as 98. In younger people hereditary and trauma play a role.  As people age then many other factors contribute to the development of varicose veins.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Varicose veins and age

+1

Varicose veins are more likely as we age and it is believed that it is a combination of factors including loss of valve integrity and loss of calf muscle bulk - the older we get, the weaker our calf muscles get- this condition is called sarcopenia - so keep your calf muscles strong so that they can effectively pump venous blood out of the legs and keep your veins healthy. I also recommedn Veinamin product for prevention of venous disease.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Age Varicose Veins Occurs

+1

Thank you for your question. You can get them at any age, and pregnancy/hormonal changes/genetics are the big causes for females, but men also get them. Standing on your feet for long periods can also cause them.   I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Varicose veins

+1

Varicose veins can occur at any age.  Risk factors include, being female, heredity, pregnancy and prolonged standing.

Sanjiv Kayastha, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon